Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Almost Autumn...

IMG_3229 (by Ateupamateur)


While autumn leaves are falling to the ground or virtually gone in most of the country, here in Dallas, we're just getting started. Only a few trees have changed color so far...and I hope they continue. But, with all the rain, most of them might just plum fall off. So, I figure, I should admire the ones that are putting on a show now! So, that's what I did on Sunday afternoon, in the late afternoon sun. (which means about 4pm after we fell back early that morning) It was a gorgeous day for a drive.


IMG_3230 (by Ateupamateur)
Not sure if this one should go the other way.
But I like it this way...looks like the arm of a flamenco shirt.
(click that link and you can have one for less than 35 buckaroos!)

My friend Karen alerted me to this beautiful tree in someone's front yard near where we live. So, I drove on over there, and like a total nut job, I pulled up in front of said house, put on my telephoto lens, rolled down the window of the car, and shot these photos from the driver's seat of my vehicle.


IMG_3231 (by Ateupamateur)


Like, if I got out of the car, someone might stop me from taking photos of their beautiful tree...as if, someone shooting photos from the driver's seat of their car with a full-on telephoto lens wouldn't worry you more if you were sitting inside your house while this transpired.


IMG_3232 (by Ateupamateur)


It reminds me of the one and only time I "played hooky" from school. Yes, only one time. I was a squeaky clean kid. Anyway, the jazz band in high school had this tradition of gathering at the local Denny's before school for breakfast. Jazz band was first period and we'd eat and then go to blow air into our instruments...ewww.


IMG_3233 (by Ateupamateur)
Overexposed, but pretty nonetheless, no?

But this one morning...in the fall of my junior year of high school...the jazz band teacher was out of town and we knew we were just having a study hall during that class. So, we decided, as a group - the whole jazz band minus Jeff Seitz, who for some reason that day skipped Denny's - we decided to order another round of coffee and pastries and stay at Denny's instead of going to class. We honestly didn't think anyone would notice. First bad decision made that morning.


IMG_3237 (by Ateupamateur)
Another one already changing near the park.

When we decided to leave Denny's, it was in time for us to get to school just in time to get to second period. And this next part is what sort of reminds me of my decision to stay in my car and photograph the tree. We decided it would be best to caravan to the school - with our hazard lights on. Very, very inconspicuous, no? Yeah. Um. No.

It's amazing we didn't garner the attention of local law enforcement. They had (still have) very little to do in our little town - not enough crime - and would have loved to witness that site, I think. But, miraculously, we made it to school without incident. Then, we ran, hunched down between the cars, like a bunch of idiots, from the back of the student parking lot into the building. Laughing and giggling and making a general ruckus that could have, again, caused someone to notice. An hour after the first bell. Class acts, we were.


IMG_3240 (by Ateupamateur)


What's more, the other band director was waiting for us to show up...in the band hall, with the only student not in deep trouble, Jeff. We all sauntered in to his waiting rage. We got it. We got it good. The only reason we weren't in more trouble, I think, is because we happened to have both of the drum majors with us, so the marching band would not have been able to perform without them. And, if they didn't punish them, they couldn't really punish the rest of us.


IMG_3241 (by Ateupamateur)


So we got off with a couple of reamings. From that director and the jazz band director when he returned the next day. Slid on by. Amazingly. But, again, not the best choice of judgement. Just about as smart as shooting photos from the front seat of your car at a stranger's house with a telephoto lens. Just about as smart. I guess I haven't learned much in the years since.

I wonder what that says about me. Hmmm...OK moving on.


IMG_3246 (by Ateupamateur)
Back to the leaves. They are gorgeous, no?


IMG_3250 (by Ateupamateur)
Here is the third and last memorable tree I photographed Sunday.
It was down closer to the lake.

Today's other news - my first "weigh in" on the D-I-E-T has given me a reason to keep trying this silly endeavor. In my first full week of dieting I lost...drumroll please...


IMG_3252 (by Ateupamateur)
A beautiful red showy one.

...I lost 7.6 pounds!!!!! Can you believe that? I birthed a baby of fat!


IMG_3263 (by Ateupamateur)

I know, first week. You always lose more the first week. But, sister, if I can keep this up until Christmas - barring a delicious meal on Thanksgiving that is not on the blasted plan but I will eat with abandon - if I just lose 2 pounds a week between now and then, I could be down 28 pounds by 2010! That would be amazing, and about halfway to the goal! Now, that would be cool. We'll see...

IMG_3264 (by Ateupamateur)
I love autumn. Don't you?
Amen to that.

See you tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. I love autumn too. Good colors on the trees there in Big D.

    But, more importantly, congrats! or I guess it should be C O N G R A T S !!!!! on your first weeks successfull start on the 'diet'. I know you can do this... and you are finding out for yourself that you indeed can.

    Love you,
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love autumn - means the end of the heat in Dallas.
    And we are so proud of your diet results. Keep it up.
    It will make you so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the D-I-E-T!! Keep up the hard work!!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!