Thursday, November 12, 2009

Operation Thankful

IMG_3482 (by Ateupamateur)

So last week I posed a question in my Friday post: What are you thankful for? I received some very nice responses. But not very many responses. And I know I have more readers than responders. And I know we ALL have SOMETHING we can be thankful for. And I can't just let it go. I'm fixin' to force the issue.

IMG_3493 (by Ateupamateur)

So I'm launching OPERATION THANKFUL. It's a full scale, all-out bust-a-move on my part to get people to tell me what they are thankful for. And why. Don't forget the why. Because it feels good to remember and tell others what's so good in your life. And, even in this economy, even when sickness and joblessness and horribleness, there are still good things in your life. There are!

IMG_3484 (by Ateupamateur)

And it's helpful to hear what other people are thankful for because it helps you remember what else you have to give thanks for! And, just think, with all this thanking, what a wonderful Thanksgiving we could all have! And I think we all need it. So, here I am, friends, Dr. Thanks, to brighten your mood with the prescription for thankfulness!

IMG_3481 (by Ateupamateur)

This is what I did...I bought these cute little cards. I could have made some but I have a weakness for pretty stationary. I'm thankful for pretty paper. So I bought them. And then I devised a highly algorithmic mathematical equation utilizing my address book - yes, one not in the computer - to randomly choose some friends and family members. That means if you do or don't get one, it's completely random.

IMG_3485 (by Ateupamateur)

Then I mailed those cute cards, along with a brief explanation, to friends and family, (some of which have probably never stepped foot on this blog...so we'll see what they say) pleading with them to fill the cards out and mail them back to me. I only sent out 20 packages. And, friends, I fully intend to have twenty return. So, please, if you receive one, play along. I promise it won't hurt.

IMG_3489 (by Ateupamateur)

And, here's what you are to do if you don't receive the little random mail from me. You are to ANSWER ANYWAY. By email. By comment which has the added benefit of possibly being anonymous. By Facebook. By carrier pigeon. Just reply. Respond. Tell me something you're thankful for - and why - and we'll call it a day. I will stop bugging you. Thank you.

IMG_3488 (by Ateupamateur)

Then, during the week of Thanksgiving (which means I have some more time to harass you into playing along) I will post all of these thoughtful responses here on the blog. For all of us to read - with names or no names, as you wish - to brighten our holiday, lighten our load, improve our mood, and increase our Thanksgiving pleasure. How about that for a promise?

IMG_3486 (by Ateupamateur)

But here's the thing - if we all play along, it will happen. I remember a Thanksgiving a few years back when S's grandmother was celebrating with us and she wanted us to go around the table telling each other one thing we were thankful for before we ate the big Thanksgiving feast. We all froze. What? Wha? Huh? In front of other people? Are you kidding? Can we just eat? Geez.

IMG_3480 (by Ateupamateur)

I know. It's daunting. But, this is the real truth - once you do it, you feel better, and so does everyone else. Everyone realizes we all have so much to be thankful for. In common. Kum bah ya and all of that. I know - the cynics are going, "BLAH BLAH BLAH". Hey - I can appreciate that point of view. But what can it hurt - be THANKFUL for a while. It'll be OK.

IMG_3492 (by Ateupamateur)

And, here's the other thing. When I was using that fancy mathematical equation to conjure up a list of 20 to mail the little cards to - imagine this - by thumbing through that old address book - I had moments to be thankful for each and every one of you! And for some people who still appear in that book but have left us on earth. So, I am not wasting another minute before I tell you I am so thankful for each of my family and friends for all they add to my life! What a lucky girl I am to know you and have you in my address book. Amen to that!

IMG_3491 (by Ateupamateur)

So, BE THANKFUL people. And tell me about it. And tell other people about it. Make it a thing. Make it one big happy BLAH BLAH BLAH for the holidays. It'll feel good.

IMG_3476 (by Ateupamateur)

I can't wait to read your responses. Thank you. See you tomorrow.

15 comments:

  1. In my last response to this question - I mentioned I was thankful for YOU. Reason: you make us think about things like this.

    So here is another reason to be thankful: HEALTH. Reason: (and this could be a function of growing older and wiser) We have all seen family, friends and loved ones who are sick, who have suffered and died. It makes me thankful for each and every moment of healthy living where we can enjoy each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thankful for choices. As a human, I get to make choices each day that are easy to take for granted...how I interact with people, what I say to others, what music I listen to in my car, when I smile and when I frown...

    Case in point... Every day, I feed my cats kibble. And every day, they look up at me when I am eating my variety of human foods with faces that clearly say, "Human mom, you get a choice. You are not fed mass quantities of brown, crunchy, meat-flavored food each day without option. We all love food, and you are so lucky that you have the freedom to choose what you feel like eating. Same with music. Note to you, Mom- we're tired of listening of Bob Dylan, this week. So- be thankful that you get to choose what you eat and what you listen to. It's only the opposable thumbs that stand in our way of taking that turkey sandwich away from you."

    And then, I share my turkey with them. To share the thanks. It's a choice I get to make.

    -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so thankful for my wonderful and supportive husband and my great friends and family. I am so lucky to have so many wonderful people in my life!

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am thankful for old and new friends, real and true love, my family, children, music, my health, great coworkers, an interesting job, and the holy trinity.

    carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know how to put into words how thankful I am! This is my favorite "GIVE THANKS" song.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=298y9gMkVSQ

    It makes me feel alive and very grateful that I have all the wonderful blessings in my life. ENJOY AMY! Thanks for encouraging all to give thanks! You really lifted my day and made me think about what I am thankful of this year for sure ~ Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also like the song Ashley posted. However, the video of this one gives me goose bumps when I hear it all the way through and think about them singing this in the colosseum where so many early Christians were killed.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtrnB4FZ-yc

    I am thankful our amazing God and for all my family and friends... and you too dear daughter.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm thankful for your blog, because your photos make me smile, and your commentary makes me laugh, and i need both of those in my life...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am thankful for great friends, of which I have many. Because of another great friend, I met you and we became friends and I'm thankful for that. I'm thankful for my hubby and 4 sweet children who each make me laugh and smile daily.

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm thankful for my friends, family, my animals, and my health.

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amy this is so sweet! I want to do this very same thing. I'm thankful for my friends and family that love and support me. I'm thankful for laughter. I'm thankful for my animals who never get mad at me and are always home to greet me and keep me company. I'm so thankful for the time on earth and memories I had with my grandmother-I miss her so much. I'm really thankful for everything I have.

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Henry Family thanksgiving prayer:

    We thank you God for autumn.
    For frost upon the ground.
    For ripened apples, golden corn, and pumpkins fat and round.
    We thank you for our table, and all things good to eat.
    And for our happy family gathered here to make the day complete.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm thankful to wake up each morning to the sounds of Evelyn. Not the waking up part, but I just love hearing her talk to herself, count, say the alphabet, whatever. Listening to those first happy sounds over the monitor feels like such a stolen moment of joy. Even if it shortly devolves into her shouting "Daddy!" or "Mommy!" to force one of us out of bed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am very thankful this Thanksgiving Season. I'm thankful that Sam is home and improving daily. I'm thankful for my wonderful family, for good health, for my home, for wonderful friends, for the seasons that I am always ready to see when they come around, and for the wonderful way God takes care of us. When I slow down and really see things around me I am always amazed at the beauty everywhere you look, if you only take time to look. Thank you Amy for making us take time to really think about Giving Thanks.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am thankful for my 2 beautiful, happy, healthy boys God entrusted to Mike and I! There isn't a day that goes by that they don't teach me something new or help me to appreciate the simple things in life. I'm also thankful for a husband who loves and adores me no matter what.

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  15. Even though I am discriminated against every day as a gay man, I am I'm thankful that I live in the United States of America.

    Even though I think some exceedingly "religious", overly-rigid, ready-to-cast-stones, interpreters of God's instructions to humanity devalue me as an equal, I am thankful that I live in the United States of America.

    Even though our culture and society seem to be solely based on the acquisition of material things and cause de celeb, separating fact from fiction, news from opinion, and splitting our population into segments based on our personal, private lives (i.e. what I do with my body, and what a woman has the right to do with hers), I am still thankful that I live in the United States of America.

    I am thankful because of freedom.

    I am thankful because I have the right to express myself.

    I am thankful because I can, and do, live generally without persecution and am free to love whom I choose, even when the government of my city, state, and nation, and the majority of my fellow citizens don't agree with me.

    I am thankful for hope. Hope that one day I may be able to have my government treat me as an equal to all. Hope that one day, even within my lifetime, my relationship might be recognized by the government to which I cheerfully pay my share of taxes. Hope that those who DO have the privilege of marriage, do not take it for granted.

    But what I am most thankful for is the quality and quantity of love that I share with my partner, my friend, my husband. He is who fills my every day with joy and happiness, laughter and wonder, contentment and peace.

    Regardless of the circumstances or challenges or inequalities of my life, I have much to be thankful for, and I know that I live a truly, deeply blessed life.

    And those are the best things to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!