Monday, November 23, 2009

Stacy's Having a Baby

Before we get to today's post, I have a couple of weblog housekeeping items to tend to.

1 - WELCOME to follower number 24! I haven't been asking you to "follow" me for several months, but over the weekend we gained a new follower. So, welcome to you. And, of course, this reminded me that I should remind all of you loyal readers to please go over there to the sidebar and "follow" me if you aren't already. It helps me read the website analytics more accurately, for one. And, more importantly, I love to come on the site and see your smiling little faces. So - and I know it's a convoluted process - follow the steps to follow this site! Thanks.

2 - If you've been putting off writing to tell me what you're thankful for - what you are grateful for, what you hold hear - you are running out of time. The thankfulness card responses are pouring in. And, boy oh boy, they are great! And the responses I've received on the blog are also wonderful! Whoo-wee, we are a lucky bunch in so many ways! And I'm going to be highlighting those responses as the week goes on towards the big holiday. So, please, feel free to let er loose on the thankful front or now and forever you'll miss your chance. Thank you.

OK, on to today's post:


IMG_4320 (by Ateupamateur)
This is Stacy

Stacy is about to have her first baby. A baby she's waited for a long time. A baby she and her sweet husband Henry prayed about. So, Saturday, we gathered together to shower her with stuff babies need. And, I don't have children, but here's one thing I know for sure - babies need a lot of stuff!

IMG_4395 (by Ateupamateur)

Stacy and I went to graduate school together. She and I were kindred spirits in the fact that neither of us knew exactly what on earth we were doing in graduate business school or what possessed us to take that course of action. Stacy was a nurse before grad school. And now she works for a medical devices company, so you know, we did figure out why we were there and what we were doing before it was all over.


IMG_4288 (by Ateupamateur)

We held this shower, with all the grad school girls, plus Stacy's wonderful friend Michelle, on the one year anniversary of Deborah's shower. Funny, huh? Stacy and Deborah's due dates are/were almost the same too...just one year apart. So, you know, since we had such a nice time last year (Stacy helped host that one...) Deborah, Wilma and I decided to host Stacy's shower in the same room, same day, a year later.


IMG_4315 (by Ateupamateur)
These are the fabulous party favors Wilma made up.

So, same day, one year later, Wilma flew in from New York to be with those of us still in Dallas, cute favors in tow. And, one year later, all the girls came on down to the Chocolate Angel for a nice event. Only last year, we were preparing for a boy. This year - Stacy's one of those who doesn't want to find out. So, this year, we celebrated for a boy OR a girl. We showered her with gifts in anticipation of one healthy, prayed for, already loved, baby.

IMG_4294 (by Ateupamateur)
Deborah and Lola

IMG_4296 (by Ateupamateur)
Michelle, Stacy and Wilma

IMG_4303 (by Ateupamateur)
Stacy and Meg

In addition to all that showering of love and attention on the soon-to-be-mama, we of course spent a great deal of time talking it up with the old crowd. We don't see each other enough and there is a lot to say.

IMG_4326 (by Ateupamateur)

Stacy stood up and thanked everyone for coming, and told us all how much it meant to her to be at a baby shower as the honoree. What's more, Stacy and Henry eloped for their marriage (and have some of the most beautiful beach wedding photos you've ever seen to prove it) so she didn't have any traditional bridal showers. So, just to be the center of attention at a shower at all was new for her. And I think she had fun!


IMG_4359 (by Ateupamateur)

IMG_4360 (by Ateupamateur)
Wilma and Lola

IMG_4361 (by Ateupamateur)
Lola, Cathy and Deborah

IMG_4329 (by Ateupamateur)

Besides the visiting and gift opening, we also ate. And, sister, I ate. And it was good. Lord, help the scales be nice to me tomorrow morning, because what I ate...it was not on the DIET.

In fact, here it is:

IMG_4334 (by Ateupamateur)
Amen.

But, back to the shower at hand and away from my transgressions. There is just something so basically female about a baby shower. In this day and age, when we all work and climb the corporate ladder if we want or stay home or volunteer or do whatever we want, there are not as many rituals for the "womenfolk." But this is one of them. All the important women in someone's life gather around to offer words of excitement, encouragement, advice, wisdom, and well, just words too. Just spending time being women together. I guess this is sort of old fashioned in the age of the liberated woman. But really, I find this to be a very nice thing. It's just as liberating to know your female friends have your back when it comes to marriage or babies as it does to careers and personal freedoms. It's wonderful.


IMG_4336 (by Ateupamateur)

IMG_4343 (by Ateupamateur)

IMG_4350 (by Ateupamateur)

IMG_4355 (by Ateupamateur)
Deborah kept an ordered list of the gifts for Stacy's records.

IMG_4363 (by Ateupamateur)
And at the end the waiter obliged us with a group photo.

But, before we go on, we must take a moment to visit my neurosis once more - what on earth am I doing over there with my hands? Huh? Do I have a pain in my side? Is there a stain on my dress in that exact location? Was I anticipating my left stomach area to come busting out? Um, no to all of that. So, why on earth could I not just put my hands at my side like a normal person? Huh? Why?

Well, people, because I'm not normal. Thank you. Moving on. It was a very fun event, my neurosis aside. Amen.


IMG_4370 (by Ateupamateur)

On Sunday, the honoree and hostesses got together for brunch at the Mercury Grill. This time we brought our husbands and Deborah even brought Dexter!


IMG_4373 (by Ateupamateur)
Henry, Stacy and Deborah's husband John

The restaurant is really too dark to get any good photos. But, I took a few anyway...


IMG_4377 (by Ateupamateur)
Maybe Lola was more successful with her point and shoot.
Sometimes that's all you need!
(Oh, and that blur in the back, that's Wilma showering attention on Dex.
She loved that!)

IMG_4379 (by Ateupamateur)
That's Henry, the soon-to-be dad, with Stacy.

After we ate, we had the waiter take a photo outside. You will see we were all suffering from eye squint from going from the dark restaurant out into the light, and from the sun shining right towards us. It captured us, but we all sort of look like we'd rather be somewhere else - that part is the illusion. We all had a lovely time. And the food (my choices within DIET parameters except for a little cheese) was divine. So, here we all are:

IMG_4388 (by Ateupamateur)
Yeah, maybe not our best photo ever.
But the intent was good, I promise!

IMG_4390 (by Ateupamateur)


And, before we go - don't you want to see what Dex is looking like these days, a year later? Well, there he is, with his mama. His dad is actually there too, in the back on the right. Dexter's a charmer. And a very active boy. And oh so sweet. We talked at brunch about how this time next year, Stacy's little boy or girl (Henry gives it a 70/30 that it's a boy. Stacy's right behind him with a 60/40 going towards a boy too, so we'll see!) will be as big as Dex is now!

And Wilma's decided we should just keep a tradition going of getting together the weekend before Thanksgiving, baby shower or not, just so we make certain we stay in touch and see one another without years flying by before we notice. It's a great idea, Wilma. Thanks for thinking of it, and for flying down to be with us! Maybe one year we should all fly up to be with Wilma - now THAT would be fun, no? We should plan it for something like 2018. We might could get it together by then!

So, there you have it. One more baby shower under wraps and photographed up for you to see here. Best wishes for your Monday! See you tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Number 25, at your service. What a great shower!

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I finally signed up as a follower after years of following your blog! How's that for procrastinating? #26 - it's official!

    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - Stacy, my best friend since third grade, shared this link to your blog with me. Your pictures are beautiful and I am grateful you documented this special time for her. I shed a little tear and felt like I was there as I admired your great shots and commentary! Fortunately I was able to briefly see her and her cute pregnant belly during Thanksgiving in Alabama!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!