Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Choices

IMG_4952


I received an email from a colleague yesterday that went like this - all traces of who it might be are removed to protect the innocent:

At some point I need to go out to lunch/dinner w/ you and get advice from you.

It seems like the volume and output of jobs are very similar and I don’t know how to handle it….especially when I think about having a family in a few years.

How do you do it? How do you get it all done and stay sane???

The last four weeks I’ve been working 80 hour weeks and I just feel like I’m a b**** at work and at home!!

First, I was totally flattered that anyone would want advice from this crazy lady. Then I wrote her back, in what I felt was a moment of clarity. This was my response:
Well, I’d be happy to go to lunch. For any reason, of course. But, here’s the secret.

I can’t do it all.  No one can. You have to choose. And some days I have good choices to choose from and some days I have bad choices to choose from, and some days I don’t make the right choices.

Some periods of time are crazy and we’re b*****, too. And I’m just this side of insane. That helps.

Sorry for the bad news…but I hope it helps we’re in it with you, sister. This too shall pass. ;-)


Why do I post this here? So I can remind myself to remember my answer when I'm going insane and wonder how it can all be done. Because that'll happen. Tomorrow, or maybe even later today. Let's hope I can remember. 


See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!