When I got home yesterday, I had a package in the mail. A package! I mean, to come home and have anything in the mail that is NOT a bill or junk is really something. But, a package, well, that's even more special.
She and I used to work together, but she left to take a new, exciting high powered job in Pittsburgh, where she's loved and respected. We actually also went through the same graduate school program, but we were not in the same class. And, I miss having her around. Her ebullient personality and unique perspective was a wonderful addition to the workday. She's a wonderful human. And, a great jewelry artist!
I contacted her a couple of months ago - I had a few necklaces - a couple of hers and a couple not hers - that needed repair, and I wondered, if I sent them to her, could she take a gander at repairing them. She said she would. So, after a lot of procrastination and "getting around to it" I finally sent them off to her a while back.
I got this great series of emails from her when they arrived on her doorstep:
Subject: Report From the Bead HospitalSo, I replied, "Thank you for taking a look...that one lost some beads before it made it there, so it might needs a transfusion."
Necklaces made it to my house.
Triage began last night.
All are doing well...except for the 4-strand necklace, which is in the ER. Currently on a respirator.
More reports to follow.
-Dr. Schmidt
To which she replied:
"I hope to have its pearl type. Not all pearls are universal donors."
I happened to be around when she started this bead fiasco that has turned into such a business for her. Jessica, our friend Maria and I decided to take a bead class at a local store on a Saturday, you know, for something to do - on a whim, if you like. That's all it took - Jessica went off on her own and started making necklaces and earrings with abandon. She said it was cathartic for her. It helped her relax. I'm glad it did, because I've got a whole new necklace wardrobe!
One thing I really like about Jessica's pieces (and the way she makes her jewelry) is that she's really interested in what the stone is that makes up the necklace. It's like a little geology lesson around your neck. Really, it's very cool. Check out some of her descriptions. They're fabulous.
So, check out JSOrignals. You'll be glad you did. And, thanks Jessica, for doing such a fine job repairing my jewelry and for the beautiful new necklace. You are the absolute best!
oh my, the agate necklace is awesome. i might consider getting it! :)
ReplyDeleteAshley