Baptizing our baby was an important thing for our family because we wanted to celebrate what God is already doing in our lives and LM's life and what God will do. LM will have an opportunity when he is older to confirm this commitment to God on his own what we on this day took vows on his behalf to do. We no more wait for our children to decide about being in the family of God than we wait for them to decide if they would like to be a part of our human family. As parents, we make many decisions — in matters of health, safety, education, for example — for our children. Of course, they may later reject what we have done for them. But, this possibility does not relieve us of the responsibility to do all that we can for them spiritually, as we do in other aspects of their lives. Thus, we entered in to the baptism service with our precious boy.
Here are some photos from that day:
Reverend Wilson read us the vows we were taking that day on behalf of LM.
LM was very attentive, however, as you can see.
LM got ready for his big moment.
Reverend Bearden baptized LM.
(LM moved so it's blurry.)
Reverend Wilson presented LM to his church family.
LM with Uncle Mark, Aunt Kim and cousins Alexandra and Sophia.
Checking out Uncle Michael, with Aunt Brooke and cousin Katherine.
With his Nonna and Papaw.
Oh my goodness - will you check out the little fat legs!
The socks may be cutting off circulation.
With his Nana.
With Reverend Bearden
With our good friends and former neighbors Mike and Mikee and their girls Sadie and Sophie.
With our boy.
With Reverend Wilson.
It was a special day for our family, for sure, and it was very nice to have family and friends present. And, the Little Man was on his best behavior. He was such a good boy.
The next weekend, I tried to take LM to a portrait studio for some photos in his baptism outfit, and to get some "casual" three month photos. Several people asked me why I would do this, since I photograph him myself so much. My answer to that is because I wanted to see someone else's photo of my boy. Sometimes you just get sick of your own point of view!
But, I have to say, the experience wasn't so great. They were running behind...they opened at 9am, and we had a 9:10 appointment. They didn't see us until 9:45. That's an eternity in the schedule of a three month old. At 9:10 he was alert, smiling and happy. At 9:45 he was almost asleep. And I don't think we got the best photographer the place had to offer. She was sort of uninspired. She took 70 photos. There was ONE of seventy that I would call a real winner. But we got a copy of one other one just so I could have one of LM in the entire baptism outfit. Here they are:

The full body shot.

The 1/70.
The next weekend, I tried to take LM to a portrait studio for some photos in his baptism outfit, and to get some "casual" three month photos. Several people asked me why I would do this, since I photograph him myself so much. My answer to that is because I wanted to see someone else's photo of my boy. Sometimes you just get sick of your own point of view!
But, I have to say, the experience wasn't so great. They were running behind...they opened at 9am, and we had a 9:10 appointment. They didn't see us until 9:45. That's an eternity in the schedule of a three month old. At 9:10 he was alert, smiling and happy. At 9:45 he was almost asleep. And I don't think we got the best photographer the place had to offer. She was sort of uninspired. She took 70 photos. There was ONE of seventy that I would call a real winner. But we got a copy of one other one just so I could have one of LM in the entire baptism outfit. Here they are:
The full body shot.
The 1/70.
I learned that maybe I can take the better photo of my son. So, that was useful to learn, I suppose. I might try this place one more time for a family shot. If they are as disorganized and unimpressive on round two, then I'll probably call it done. But, you know, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
I hope to get through more of our photos to share with you in the coming days.
See you soon.
I hope to get through more of our photos to share with you in the coming days.
See you soon.
nice theology of infant baptism. ;-)
ReplyDeleteI love it that you love LM enough to have him baptized. Second most important day of his life.
ReplyDeletemom