Some particularly prized examples, currently on loan from the collection.
They are on display in my office.
Today we will be taking a look at LM's artistic output in the early toddler period. It has taken a decided turn away from his late infant period and is really showing some growth in his use of color, scribbling and glue.
Notice the disregard for strict parallels here. A note of whimsy, even.
I mean, have you ever see a firefighter's boots do that?
Revolutionary. Groundbreaking.
And the use of extra glue to change the palette of the background is pure genius!
As you will probably remember, the late infant period involved lots of handprints and smeared paint. I think he was trying to say he wanted to do it himself, but he needed the help of his teacher to really get his meaning across. Conversely, the early toddler period has moments of true self expression that can only be the mark of a one year old.
I'm noticing some monochromatic tendencies, a departure from previous periods.
In this piece, he was without a doubt studying with another master.
And here we see advanced use of negative space.
Remarkable.
Again here we see the Artist taking his own way, pasting outside the lines.
Obviously he was influenced here by his Midwestern bowling heritage.
Yet he takes it to the next level.
It will be interesting to see if these trends continue through the late toddler period or if new themes emerge. Of course, we'll cover these developments here at Ate Up. You can count on that.
See you soon.
I love the Ate Up Critics descriptions and clear understanding of an artist's creative nature.
ReplyDelete;-) mom
You crack me up, Amy! Love it!
ReplyDeleteI don't know who you are, stumbled across your blog from google (pumpkin dump cake)but your Sense of humour is a crack up! BTW that's a compliment in Australia
ReplyDeleteThanks y'all. I had fun writing it.
ReplyDeleteThat was fun to view. You did a great job
ReplyDeleteDad
I commented on a couple others without identifying myself...maybe you will recognize the comments anyway.