Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Whirlwind Weekend

Wow-wee, what a weekend! I went to Indianapolis this past weekend for the express reasons of a) walking in the Race for the Cure with my cousin Robin and b) visiting family one last time without baby in tow. I accomplished both, for certain. And much, much more. It was busy, folks. But, so fun and wonderful. Here is a recap.

I arrived late Thursday night, so activities began in earnest on Friday. I had a late breakfast with Dad and Torchy and Kylie then headed for Mom's house. From there, we did some serious shopping, both for baby and for maternity clothes - I found a great collection of lightweight, short-sleeved maternity tops that are appropriate for work. I was having a hard time finding these in Big D. It was fabulous. I think I'm set now to fashionably cover this new-found big ol' belly that is maybe not so big yet but growing every day!


Veda's Birthday Dinner (2) (by Ateupamateur)
Veda and Mom at dinner.

Then, we were scheduled to take Veda out to dinner since her 9th (9th!!! how is that possible???) birthday is this coming weekend, and we were both going to miss her party. We had a lovely dinner with Veda and set out to drop her back off with her mother.


Indiana Baby Shower (55) (by Ateupamateur)
Terri and me at the shower.

That is where things did not go as I expected. I walked in the door and found out I was part of a surprise baby shower - for me - hosted by my sister-in-law Terri - attended by just about every female relative I have in the greater Indianapolis area! Can you believe that?I was TOTALLY surprised and humbled and amazed.


Indiana Baby Shower (51) (by Ateupamateur)
The cake - it was a "Ducky" theme.

Indiana Baby Shower (52) (by Ateupamateur)
The game.

Indiana Baby Shower (54) (by Ateupamateur)
The huge pile of presents.

Indiana Baby Shower (by Ateupamateur)
The favors.

It was a wonderful, wonderful event. Terri had a cute cake, cute favors, a game, decorations...everything! And everyone showered us with the most generous, thoughtful gifts for our baby. Handmade things. "Little man" things. Very, very useful things that I have no idea how to use but will need. And gift cards and cash. I couldn't believe the generosity. I couldn't believe the fabulous surprise!


Indiana Baby Shower (59) (by Ateupamateur)
Everyone, minus Susie, who was taking the photo.

After lots of visiting, eating cake and opening presents, we set off for Mom's house to hit the bed before getting up bright and early the next morning for the Race for the Cure.


Race for the Cure (1) (by Ateupamateur)
Our parking spot - with a view of the capitol building!

The alarm went off at 5:45am so we got up and got ready. We found a pretty good parking place, only a few blocks from the walk.


Race for the Cure (13) (by Ateupamateur)
Robin, waving...trust me. It's her!

Then we headed to the survivor parade and made it there a few minutes before Robin's group walked by! I saw her, starting saying hello, got so excited and took that fabulous photo of her abdomen. Ha. Oh well!


Race for the Cure (14) (by Ateupamateur)
A pink pooch.

Race for the Cure (15) (by Ateupamateur)
Steve and Terri on race day.

Race for the Cure (18) (by Ateupamateur)
Me and Mom.

Race for the Cure (41) (by Ateupamateur)
Robin and Dad.

Race for the Cure (44) (by Ateupamateur)
Robin and her Aunt Soni.

Race for the Cure (47) (by Ateupamateur)
My oldest niece Amber and her mama, Sherri.

Race for the Cure (34) (by Ateupamateur)
Gabe, Robin's oldest son, and Robin.

Race for the Cure (30) (by Ateupamateur)
Robin's husband Mike and their younger son Caleb.


Race for the Cure (55) (by Ateupamateur)
Uncle Kenny and Aunt Sally, Robin's parents.

Race for the Cure (70) (by Ateupamateur)
The part of the team that did the family mile.

Race for the Cure (76) (by Ateupamateur)
There were thousands in front of us...

Race for the Cure (86) (by Ateupamateur)
...and thousands behind us. Over 40,000 to be exact.
In front and behind, that is.

There were 67 registered members of Robin's team, the Cleavage Keepers. Over 50 of them were seen on race day. And in total we raised over $3000 for breast cancer research. What an amazing show of support for her as she continues to win the battle against this horrible disease! When we finished the family one mile, mom and I headed to another stop.

I'll start there tomorrow...see you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!