Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Whirlwind Continued!

Felege Hiwot Center (3) (by Ateupamateur)
The next stop was here!

The Felege Hiywot Center is a mission founded by my mom's good friend Aster. You pronounce her name "Ah-stair" - like Fred Astaire. One time Deacon couldn't remember her name and he asked mom if he had seen "Step" lately. It took her a minute, but she figured out "Step" was Aster - step and "a stair" to a four year old are pretty darn close objects. Funny.


Felege Hiwot Center (17) (by Ateupamateur)
Aster and Mom (still in race gear, of course!)

Anyway, when Aster, who is originally from Ethiopia, and worked at the same company my mom worked for, retired, she started this mission. This is their mission statement:

We, the Felege Hiywot Center, serve urban youth of Indianapolis, second generation Ethiopians in Indianapolis, and orphans in Ethiopia. We teach gardening and environmental preservation. We encourage youth to embrace the virtues of community service. We perform this mission as an expression of our Christian faith.

The urban youth part - the gardening part - has really taken off and she has become an integral, important part of the community in which she serves.


Felege Hiwot Center (7) (by Ateupamateur)


And people are taking notice - people with money - at the difference she is making there. Which only allows her to do more things. In fact, that very morning we stopped by, a huge group from "Keep Indianapolis Beautiful" had come to volunteer their time and the mayor of Indianapolis even stopped by. It's a good thing she and her crew are doing. A very good thing.


Felege Hiwot Center (1) (by Ateupamateur)
They started with these two small, dilapidated houses.
And they did their work in them, no complaints.


Felege Hiwot Center (2) (by Ateupamateur)
Along with the gardening in the plot next door.


Felege Hiwot Center (8) (by Ateupamateur)
But one of the houses has been fully restored.
And is now a decent place to work.

Felege Hiwot Center (10) (by Ateupamateur)
A semi-commercial kitchen in back.

Felege Hiwot Center (11) (by Ateupamateur)
Looking from the kitchen toward the front door.

Felege Hiwot Center (12) (by Ateupamateur)
The seedlings for this summer's garden.
Equipment donated by Purdue.

Felege Hiwot Center (13) (by Ateupamateur)
A volunteer re-created the rick-rack above the door,
and included "FHC" for the name of the mission.

Felege Hiwot Center (16) (by Ateupamateur)
They collect all the water they need for the garden from the rain that falls.

I was very impressed indeed with Aster's organization. If you live in Indianapolis and are looking for a good place to spend your volunteer time, I would highly recommend checking them out. While we were there, Aster also gave me a baby gift. Very, very sweet.

After we left the Filege Hiywot Center, we stopped for a bite of lunch and then I had an appointment with my pillow. I took a two hour nap! After the nap, we headed to my brother Steve's house for dinner with his family and with my Unk and cousin Lori and her son Isaiah. It was a good place to meet because the kids could run and play outside and we could sit indoors and visit. I took no photos of this gathering. I am falling down on my duties.

But, the BIG NEWS at this event was that my sister-in-law Terri - the one who hosted the shower chronicled yesterday - is PREGNANT with their fourth child! That's right - that takes my pregnant sister-in-law count to THREE and the 2010 baby count to FOUR. Crazy! She's due in mid-November and hasn't decided if they will find out the sex before it's born. I'll keep you posted. The kids are all very excited about the impending new baby, which they have nicknamed, "Branch" - like, you know, a new branch of the family tree.

Sunday brought more activity. I woke up early and packed my luggage. Then I headed to church, where Steve and Terri announced baby four to the congregation and my mom was commissioned along with the rest of a team of people from their church for a mission trip to New Orleans they will take starting this Saturday. That was a long sentence.


Easter Egg Hunt 2010 (1) (by Ateupamateur)

After church, I headed back to Dad and Torchy's to observe the annual Easter Egg Hunt, eat good food and visit with more fabulous family. I did take a few photos of this one.

Easter Egg Hunt 2010 (5) (by Ateupamateur)
Easter baskets, as it turns out, make GREAT hats.
Nathon and Deacon pictured here.

Easter Egg Hunt 2010 (6) (by Ateupamateur)
After the baskets were handed out, there were a series of rules announced before mass pandemonium set in.

Easter Egg Hunt 2010 (4) (by Ateupamateur)
The two littlest hunters had a smaller, more manageable space set aside for them.
Kylie pictured here.

Easter Egg Hunt 2010 (13) (by Ateupamateur)
The eggs could hide but they couldn't run.

Easter Egg Hunt 2010 (18) (by Ateupamateur)
Cora, who has just a TINGE of drama in her personality,
was not in the mood for egg hunting, it seems.

Easter Egg Hunt 2010 (by Ateupamateur)
A sizable hunt continued until all the eggs were found.

After the hunt was over and the dust settled, it was pretty much time to head back to the airport to fly home. One fabulous weekend under my belt, I hated to go, but was glad I had the opportunity to make it to Indy. It was wonderful.

I have more stuff to ramble on about - hope to see you again soon, perhaps with a belly shot update. It's growing, I'll tell you that. It's growing. See you then.

1 comment:

  1. I liked reading about Aster and her accomplishments...I had no idea. I will get by to see her in the near future. The pictures from the egg hunt are preciouos, thank you for posting them

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!