Monday, August 31, 2009

This is Unbelievable!!!

So, dear friends, I have big news for a Monday. Many of you have already heard the news, since I could not wait to spill the beans here and there...something unbelievable, absolutely inconceivable and amazing has occurred...



I received this envelope in my mailbox Friday afternoon. I figured it was my "rejection" letter from the State Fair photography competition. My heart sank a little, knowing the anticipation was now over as I opened it. I mean, I only entered for the experience, but still, when it's over it's over and I was a little sad to be at that moment.



Then, this letter was inside...



...it says, in code that relates to the creative arts classifications, that the "bovine baptism" photo placed 10th. They only give ribbons to places 1-4, so it was not a "winner." It will not be on view at the State Fair of Texas.


It also says that this photo - the rubber ducky photo - IS A FIRST PLACE WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woooooooooooo-hoooooooooooooooooo! Oh my goodness! I was (and still am) beside myself. Are you kidding me? Really? No joking?!?! One of MY photos (that YOU helped me choose, by the way) is going to be ON DISPLAY at the GREAT STATE FAIR OF TEXAS!!!



AND....AND....AND! And, it will have a FIRST PLACE blue ribbon attached. In the very competitive STATE FAIR category. Whoa. Let me catch my breath. I feel like I won the lottery. Seriously, people, I do. This is quite possibly one of the most exciting things that has happened to me in all my life. This is a really big deal for me in my little ol' life, and I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! I mean, I could probably enter this competition for the next ten years and maybe never get another ribbon, so the fact that I received a blue ribbon is very cool to me.


Wordle: state fair 3
A wordle.net word cloud of the Facebook congratulations I received.

I immediately started calling everyone I knew. Then I realized maybe people wouldn't really care to hear from my on a Friday afternoon about this so I stopped with the phone calls. I got on the computer instead and posted it on Facebook, where I had so MANY wonderfully nice replies.



I should point out that my oldest brother Bob, who voted for the butterfly photo when the polls were open, when I told him the news, said, "Well, if you would have entered the butterfly you could have had TWO photos displayed at the fair." It's good Bob has a high self esteem, isn't it? You gotta love the guy.



Let's go back to that little part about how YOU helped me get to this place. You did - remember that week back at the end of July? (Cue the descending harp music.) Think back - you know, when I asked you which photos to enter, and you voted, and I took your ideas into account and finally chose two to enter? So, really, I give you all the thanks. My neurosis would have left me undecided and un-entered. You saved me from myself. And look at the wonderful results! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!



Big Tex Logo [via]

So, dear friends, if you are planning a trip to the State Fair (beginning in 25 days, running September 25-October 18 - there is still time to purchase that 21 day advance plane ticket, in case you were wondering) you will be able to see my photo displayed in the Creative Arts building! I will be spending way too much money to go to the fair to see it as many times as I can. I'll stand near it, sign autographs and pose for photos. You know, the regular state fair stuff.



Where will it be located? The Creative Arts building is on the "back side" of the Cotton Bowl, on Nimitz street, east and behind the Hall of State, leading to the animal buildings, near the Embarcadero. If you're coming from the Hall of State, it'll be on your right. The photographs will be displayed in there, near the canned peaches, the quilts, and the test kitchen. Yep, that building. Here's a map if you want it. See you there. And, really, you can be sure we'll talk more about it here come fair time...you can be sure.

Happy Monday and Happy Last Day of August. See you tomorrow, if I can come down from my blue ribbon high long enough to write about something else. It will be touch and go, but I'll try my best. Have a great day.

27 comments:

  1. Go Amy, Go!!!
    This will be the first of many ribbons to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMY! Congrats little lady! That is so great about your photos in the state fair. You are super talented so it is a deserved award for sure and I love those duckies. That is such a fun and quirky pic for sure. Hope you are doing well and hip-hip hooray!

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Amy!!!!!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who would have ever thought that a bunch of rubber duckies would win a Blue Ribbon--Congratulations!!
    Way to go Amy........

    Brent

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woohooooooooo!

    Dolph

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool Amy!

    Becki

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray for you!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. What were the dates of the Texas State Fair again?

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome, awesome, awesome news! congrats!

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not surprised that you won - your photography is very awesome. Congrats again!

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll just say it again,

    YAY YAY YAY!

    I knew the ducks were a winner!

    Congrats!!

    -Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so excited for you. Congrats!!!!

    Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations!!! Awesome!

    Carolann

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW!  What fun and exciting news!!  Just ducky!!

    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  15. wooohoooo! i'd add that i think 10th for the bovine baptism is pretty darn good too, considering all the competition!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is so cool Amy, what a great picture!! Congrats!!

    Liza

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations!!! What camera was it taken with? Your digital or Ray's old camera? Either way you deserve the accolades. The camera may take a picture but the viewer composes the shot.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations, Amy!

    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  19. Way to go Amy! I have a feeling there will be many more ribbons,

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations on winning the blue. It was nice to know that I voted for a winner. More ways than one. T

    ReplyDelete
  21. This may inspire bovine on duck warfare...but other than that side effect, is the very best news of the week! So excited for you, Amy! Well-deserved!

    -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well, though I did lobby for the butterfly picture, I am proud that my Sister has a blue ribbon entry in the Texas State Fair. I am sure that additional pictures of the picture display will be shared for all of us northerners to see. Congrats Amy!!

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations! Always knew you were a great photographer! (I like the cow picture,too.)

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations! Always knew you were a great photographer! (I like the cow picture,too.)

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  25. Can't believe I missed your post! Woohoo! I KNEW that unique, innovative, cool, interesting, pic of the duckies would win! Now if I can just get my act together and get some scrapbook pages entered for next year! BTW, what do you have to do to get "premium money?"

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!