Thursday, July 23, 2009

A Bovine Baptism

When we were at the Greer Farm last weekend, late in the afternoon, the cattle (women and children, that is - the bulls were off in another pasture) came out of their pasture and down to the side of the lake for a little cool off. And this sight at the water's edge looked very spiritual to me. The waning sun helped the spirituality of it all. So, I snapped away, of course, so I could share the moment with you later, here on Ate Up Amateur.

I should say, however, that I thought I could do this post in one of two ways - either playing up the spirituality or more ala yesterday's post - humanizing the cows - you know, Sister Sarah Bovine and her Bovine Baptist Brethren. And I had some really funny stuff in that vein. Funny stuff. But, I didn't go that route. For three reasons. 1) I didn't want to offend anyone's religion, and while I wouldn't mean to be offensive, S tells me it might be construed as sacrilegious to try to be so funny about the subject of baptisms, even of the bovine variety. 2) the photos really do move me and look just plain spiritual to me. They do. I love the light and the earthiness of the creatures in the water. 3) It's Thursday and that's a good third reason for no reason at all. So, without further ado, my "spiritual" look at a bovine baptism.



As I went down in the river to pray
Studying about that good old way
And who shall wear the starry crown
Good Lord, show me the way !



As I went down in the river to pray
Studying about that good old way
And who shall wear the starry crown
Good Lord, show me the way !



O sisters let's go down,
Let's go down, come on down,
O sisters let's go down,
Down in the river to pray.



As I went down in the river to pray
Studying about that good old way
And who shall wear the robe and crown
Good Lord, show me the way !




O brothers let's go down,
Let's go down, come on down,
Come on brothers let's go down,
Down in the river to pray.



As I went down in the river to pray
Studying about that good old way
And who shall wear the starry crown
Good Lord, show me the way !



O fathers let's go down,
Let's go down, come on down,
O fathers let's go down,
Down in the river to pray.




As I went down in the river to pray
Studying about that good old way
And who shall wear the robe and crown
Good Lord, show me the way !



O mothers let's go down,
Let's go down, don't you want to go down,
Come on mothers let's go down,
Down in the river to pray.



As I went down in the river to pray
Studying about that good old way
And who shall wear the starry crown
Good Lord, show me the way !



O sinners let's go down,
Let's go down, come on down,
O sinners let's go down,
Down in the river to pray.



As I went down in the river to pray
Studying about that good old way
And who shall wear the robe and crown
Good Lord, show me the way !


Amen, sweet bovine sisters, amen.

Nice renditions of the spiritual here, here and even here. See you tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. That is so inspiring!

    Brent

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Amy, it's very nice.

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this post.

    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  4. photos and post both wonderful. thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!