Friday, March 9, 2012

Friday Five

Oxford (44)
A window in Oxford, England.


A Friday Five for today, since it's Friday and I am in a reflective mood. The photos are from my last work trip to Europe, with no relation, except I wanted to thumb through them again. The list - it's from the Rev Gals:


Cologne p (5)
A chandelier in a restaurant in Cologne.


1. Name a woman author you very much love to read.
There are several. I'll just list the ones I can conjure up without googling. 
Anne Lamott. You will see one of my favorite things to remember - Bird by Bird, is one I picked up from her. She is hilarious and spiritual and down to earth and not perfect. And I love her. 
Elizabeth Gilbert. I heard her speak once and that made me love her even more. I appreciate her point of view and easy soul. 
Anita Diamant. Mainly for the Red Tent. But seriously, isn't that enough? 
Jan Karon. Mitford is a wonderfully imaginative world away from this one. Character, character, character. 
Barbara Brown Taylor. I love that she leaves room for doubt in her belief. And her writing is easy to digest for me.
Temple Grandin. I love the ways she thinks - she's autistic, so I'm not sure what that says about me, but I love reading her books. They have a structure I understand and her heart is as big as any heart anywhere. She has positively impacted the lives of animals and of people too. 
Tina Fey.I don't care if she's only published one book. It's freaking hilarious


2. Name a woman from the Bible with whom you would like to enjoy a nice long coffee talk.
Ruth. Possibly a trite and boring choice, but it was the first one I thought of so I'm going with it. She was certainly a strong woman, so there's that. 


Berlin (90)
S in the Holocaust Memorial, Berlin



3. Name a famous woman from history with whom you would like to have lunch. 
Again, going with the first one that comes to mind - Alma Mahler. No comments on how strange my mind works, please. ;-) But, onto Alma - I mean, how do you cavort with some of the most famous men of your time and make them all crazy? She had to be a character, huh?

4. Name a living famous or infamous woman with whom you would like to go out to dinner.



Well, any of those authors would be alright. Ha. I once went to a dinner in college where the NPR personality Linda Wertheimer and it was such a cool experience. I know, right, but, it was! Any woman like that who has lived and learned and breathed would be interesting to me. Heck, I know several of those women right here in my community, not really famous or infamous, but they do make fabulous dinner companions.
Stonehenge p (10)
Needs no caption.


5. If you could be SuperWoman (o.k., I know you already ARE) what three special powers would you like to have? 


 - the ability to freeze time or time travel
 - the ability to fly - why, I don't know - it would just be cool
 - the ability to make people feel better


Prague p (159)
Inside the old walled city, Prague


OK, there you go. Happy Friday, Happy Weekend, etc etc. 


See you soon.

10 comments:

  1. i love your list of authors! thanks for introducing me/us to Alma Mahler!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved clicking through to read about Alma! And oh, Jan Karon...I too love to escape to Mitford every now and then. Such a soothing place somehow.

    I know the pictures aren't related, but I love love love them--post more! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. refreshed just by enjoying your photos! thanks for the FF gifts...

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, I LOVE your photos and your lists, too... regarding your choosing Alma Mahler... thanks for playing; peace!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome play!!
    my NPR person would be Silvia Pajoli. Hmm, don't know Alma Mahler, but will learn.
    Time travel and flying are popular super powers today!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes...Anne Lamont. Thanks for reminding me of her amazing sense of humor and wonderful God-insights.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Silvia Poggioli - excellent, excellent choice. Love her.

    Thanks ladies for stopping by! How fun to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy - Can I borrow the Tina Fey book? I've been wanting to read that. Also, am I a "follower"? I tried to register but not sure if it worked or not. I know I know... I should know these things... :-)
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun to see all your pictures! I liked your listing of people I like and also am unaware of. Off to look of Alma Mahler now! thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Brooke - yes, absolutely. I'll search for it amongst the toddler toys...and no, I don't think so. You don't show up on the list anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!