Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Minturn Market

That thing up there says Minturn. Trust me.

We did get our drive in yesterday to Independence Pass and Aspen and Glenwood Canyon, and even explored some new things I had never seen. And I'll get around to detailing all of that once I get through the photos. Today, I'm going to tell you about another fun thing we did on the 4th. This wasn't a 4th of July event, per se, but it was on the 4th.

It was the Minturn Market. It's every Saturday in the summer, so since the 4th was a Saturday this year, it was a 4th activity. So to speak. One of my work colleagues let me know that his wife and daughter never miss the Minturn Market when they come to Vail, no matter what the Saturday. So, we thought we better go check it out!



Minturn is a small town near Vail, on down the highway to the west. It's right where I-70 and one of the highways to Leadville intersect. There's not much there but a pretty creek, hike and bike trails, some houses, etc. A small town in the mountains.


We parked in the designated lot. It was a beautiful day.


We crossed the bridge over the pretty creek...


...where they also had hanging baskets...


...and American flags.


We saw some Minturn establishments...like this saloon.


And of course the Turntable Restaurant. Not to be missed.


We saw cute kids with painted faces.
I'm not sure what the issue was with the one on the left.
I mean, she had a balloon AND a painted face...


And the face painter herself.


We also saw many cute dogs. Isn't this one cute?
I miss my sweet dogs and can't wait to hug them this weekend.


There were several vendors of all varieties.
Roasted chiles, jewelry, handbags, soaps, crafts, vegetables, food.
You name it. It was there.


And there were more American flags.


A photo of some of the vegetables.


Mom wheeling and dealing with one vendor.

It was a nice little spin through a small town market. After we took it all in, we left and headed down that road to Leadville, which was all decked out for the 4th. I'll tell you all about it. Another day.

Today is my last day of work in Vail. We'll close up shop tonight and head on down the highway tomorrow to Amarillo again. Beautiful Amarillo. Where it's hot, in addition to all that beauty. But, besides missing the mountains and the rivers and the nice cool air, I'm ready. I'm ready to go home to my S and my dogs and my house. I just wish they weren't on that ungodly concrete island known as Dallas, TX this time of year. But it'll be OK. We'll make it.

I'll post something here tomorrow before we hit the road. See you soon.

1 comment:

  1. If I ever get our West again I will have to check out the minitown, sounds interesting. However, if I dond't I have a pretty good idea what I will miss from you detailed discription.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!