Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Some More of Betty's Flowers


Allium schoenoprasum, or chives

Today, to stay in the tradition of the "Colorado Memorial" posts this week-ahem-I thought you might like to see some of the flower photos I actually DID get on the camera. These were taken at the Betty Ford Alpine Gardens. And I've got even more than what I'm posting here. Tons of them, of course. Because I'm addicted to flower photos. And I have a compulsion to photograph them. They call out to me, begging me to take their photo. I must do it. And, this day anyway, some came out OK. Heck, even sort of legible - sort of looking like a flower photo - is a big step in the right direction after the debacle at Independence Pass.

But let's not linger on that - let's look at some flowers, why don't we! Let's pretend we're in a cooler climate yet again today and peruse some plants that would be dead in Dallas right now, shall we? OK! Here we go:


An overexposed iris. But she just looked so proud I had to post her.


Superbum Knotweed -
or, handy for cleaning out the bottom of those bottles for those mommies out there.


Betty had other interesting features in her garden besides flowers.
Like this water feature. Nice, no?


A bumble bee.

I tried several times to get a good photo of that darn bee. But he moved too darn fast. So, I offer you a collection of almost good photos of a bumble bee. Sort of like the day old bread. A little stale, but still alright.


Here's another one nicely identified
"Hardy Ice Plant" - I bet it doesn't grow here.


Speaking of not growing - look, the peonies aren't even in full bloom yet.
In July. They barely grow in Dallas. And bloom in early spring, if at all.


I'm not sure what this one is...but I feel like I should know.
Like it's an easy one, but I'm just having a mid-life moment.


I don't know what this is either.
But I really like the photo.


Another photo of the main garden area.


Here, we have the state flower of Colorado - the columbine.
Another perennial - I liked how the garden used perennials.


An exquisite example of a Peruvian Lily.

I know it's a bit blurry, but don't you think it's funny that the Peruvian Lily's native habitat isn't Peru? No - listed on the sign - Chile and Argentina!


This flower - life of the party.

For some reason when I see this flower, I think of Tom Hulce's portrayal of Mozart in Amadeus. Or Touchstone in Shakespeare's As You Like It, or even Feste in Twelfth Night. Cooky but smart on some level, fun loving, just fun flowers.

Give me time. I'll humanize them all. Don't worry.


I fell in love with these dainty things.

And their cousins, the bleeding hearts.
Be still my thumper.


And here, another water feature.


And, last but not least, this beautiful old tree striking a pose.

I have more people, I have more. But, I'm going to stop before I overload the server and my brain. Hope you liked these. I'll post more at another time. Because they are all so beautiful, the humanized flowers. And I know you'll want to see them. See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!