Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Statler and Waldorf

Well, the Greer Farm version anyway. Today, I want to tell you about the Statler and Waldorf of Greer Farm. They are quite a pair. I wish I would have thought to make a little video of them during our stay. You know, so I could try for days to post it for you here on Ate Up Amateur and whine and scream to you about how I can't seem to get the video posting to work. But I didn't, so you'll have to imagine the honking and squawking they did on a regular basis - and I would have done here.

Here's the real Statler and Waldorf. Waldorf on the left, Statler on the right.

For the record, I am a real fan of these guys. Some of my favorites. I'm a Muppet fan in general. I was a child of the 70's, people. We are all Muppet fans.


Here they are - the Greer Farm version - that's Statler on the left, Waldorf on the right.

They were the welcoming committee, the town gossips, the in-the-know citizens, the warning sirens and the goodbye committee all in one.


No, Statler did not replace his head with a light.
Optical illusion.


He tried to continue the illusion here by hiding his head from view.
That jokester.


They were everywhere - together - on that little lake.


Squawking away as they swam, usually.



And they loved the company of the visitors. Of course, they would herald your arrival for all the other guests to see. Then, they would talk you up immediately to get to know what you knew. They would act as "lifeguard" as you swam or fished. Then they'd leave to visit someone else.



I thought today we'd listen in on a couple of conversations a little closer. You know, to see where they got their name. After all, this little lake - this pond - was their stage. And they took in all the action, so to speak.



This, overheard as some fishermen were reeling in a catch:

Statler: Well, that was different.
Waldorf: Yep. Lousy...
Both: ...but different!




Incidentally, I tried all weekend to capture the dragonflies fighting in mid-air. Looks like I did, over there on the right. Funny. Statler and Waldorf didn't miss it, did they? They didn't miss anything.



On a particularly loud conversation, this was overheard:

Waldorf: Hey, what's all the commotion about?
Statler: Bunny ran away!
Waldorf: Well, you know what that makes him...
Statler & Waldorf: Smarter than us!




Upon completion of a viewing a rousing game of hide and seek by the kids in the red cabin:

STATLER: Boo!
WALDORF: Boooo!
STATLER: That was the worst thing I’ve ever seen!
WALDORF: It was terrible!
STATLER: Horrendous!
WALDORF: Well it wasn’t that bad.
STATLER: Oh, yeah?
WALDORF: Well, there were parts of it I liked!
STATLER: Well, I liked a lot of it.
WALDORF: Yeah, it was GOOD actually.
STATLER: It was great!
WALDORF: It was wonderful!
STATLER: Yeah, bravo!
WALDORF: More!
STATLER: More!
WALDORF: More!
STATLER: More!




And, during a completely contemplative moment:

STATLER: I wonder if there really is life on another planet.
WALDORF: Why do you care? You don’t have a life on this one?


They looked so beautiful, swimming together, when their mouths were shut.



They were wonderful at their jobs as hosts of the lake area, even if they had sort of an acerbic wit. We enjoyed their company while at the farm. Thanks, guys - or girls - er, or girl and guy. I'm not up on my fowl anatomy. Heh heh.

Special thanks to the forum on Muppet Central- where fellow Muppet lovers of all kinds gather for inspiration - for help with today's post. See you tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe I am first to comment on this addition to your blog. I found it interesting as well as entertaining. I think my daughter has a sense of humor as well as a deep love for animals (already know by all who know her).

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. absolutely fabulous. loved it. needed it. thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!