Monday, June 28, 2010

One Fabulous Weekend

Last weekend (as in not the last two days, but LAST weekend - I know, I am behind...) my friends Kellie, Cathy and Tricia hosted a baby shower for some friends and family here in Dallas. It was an amazing event. We also had the opportunity to visit with Kellie and Cathy from out of town and their respective families. We don't get to visit enough, so that was also very nice. AND...and, and...my mom and Uncle and Bevi came to town with baby cradle and highchair in tow, as well as all the gifts from the Indiana shower and the hand-me-downs from my niece. It was a great weekend. And I'll attempt to tell you all about it here.

June 19 (21) (by Ateupamateur)
The hostesses - Cathy, Kellie and Tricia

First, the baby shower. It was amazing. It was held at a local Italian restaurant in a private room.The hostesses - I think you have met them all before - Cathy was my college roommate for three years and the matron of honor at our wedding (matron instead of maid by only three weeks!). She and her family live in Arkansas now and we don't see enough of each other, but when we do it's as if time stood still and we can just talk like we visited yesterday. It's so great to have friends like that, no? Kellie and I were in band and work study together and she was in S's class at school. You saw HER baby shower held just last year for baby Sam here on the blog, as well as the triathlon relay that she and I and one more brave lady did together last May. Tricia was my pot luck freshman roommate at SMU and lives in the Dallas area these days so we get to do many things together. You met her husband Wayne here on the blog and read all about their wedding only two short years ago. It is so nice to have such wonderful friends as these girls!

The girls went all out to decorate the room - the table decorations, menus and favors were totally cute.

IMG_6459 (by Ateupamateur)
Menu (which mimicked the invite) and a favor.

IMG_6465 (by Ateupamateur)
Table decorations.

IMG_6452 (by Ateupamateur)
Another table decoration!

June 19 (4) (by Ateupamateur)
More table decor.

June 19 (3) (by Ateupamateur)
So cute!

June 19 (1) (by Ateupamateur)
And, the masterpiece - the cake!

And the cake - it was like the cutest thing ever. And it tasted good too! Kellie's husband Kevin's cousin is the manager at Cakes Amore in Plano. The design sort of mimics the bedding we chose for the baby's room. No matter the inspiration, it was oh so cute, no?

June 19 (36) (by Ateupamateur)
Me and Marcia

June 19 (97) (by Ateupamateur)
Me and my Mama!

June 19 (24) (by Ateupamateur)
The three Wag sisters-in law - one baby down, two to go!

June 19 (27) (by Ateupamateur)
Me with S's cousin Carrie Jo.
So nice to see her at the shower!

June 19 (18) (by Ateupamateur)
Cheryl's cousins Kay and Kay.
Yes, that's right. The Kays!

June 19 (28) (by Ateupamateur)
One table of lovely guests - Carrie Jo, Sharon, Ginny, Star and Martha

June 19 (29) (by Ateupamateur)
Cathy, the Kays, Linda, Laura, Kellie and Tricia

June 19 (32) (by Ateupamateur)
Holly, Kim, Cheryl, Cindi and Brooke

June 19 (33) (by Ateupamateur)
S's very tanned cousin Lynn (just back from Greece) and Me.

We had a wonderful collection of guests as well who were oh so generous in their gifting for baby S. I mean, really, really generous. We received some amazing gifts! And it was certainly nice to see everyone and get to visit for a bit. Many other good friends and family who span the miles and years were in attendance. It was humbling to see they made the trip to attend! Oh - and you can see my 33 week belly up there too. 33 weeks and counting!

June 19 (56) (by Ateupamateur)
My mom made a few items...this bib...can you read it?

It says, "50% Hoosier, 50% Texan, 100% Loved". Awww! Then, I found out my mother took a hand embroidery class so she could make me this:

IMG_6598 (by Ateupamateur)
An adorable baby quilt!
The dog house says, "Wags" and the wagon says "2010"

Please forgive the origami I seem to be doing with my own arm. Ahem. It is beautiful and I love it and Baby S will too. I should say she also plans to embroider the baby's name on the quilt, but since we aren't sharing that yet, it's not yet embroidered on there.

IMG_6622 (by Ateupamateur)
That wasn't the only handmade gift!

The afghan above was made by Mrs. Dempsey, the mother of another college friend, and was accompanied by some other lovely gifts. She had us all over to her house so many times in college (and since) that I couldn't even count them. It was so sweet to have this special gift from her as well, and to see her at the shower!

June 19 (64) (by Ateupamateur)
Blocks!

June 19 (85) (by Ateupamateur)
A car seat!

This gift was from Cheryl's good friends Linda and Ron. I said, "Now we can bring him home from the hospital!" when I opened it. Linda wrote me a sweet note in her card telling me that when S was born he was very special to them and they enjoyed being around him when he was a baby so much so that when her own son was born years later she waited to name him but knew she must or she would end up calling him S! Very sweet, and a very generous gift we very much appreciate.

June 19 (22) (by Ateupamateur)
There were many, many more fabulous gifts!

Like butt paste (lots of it!), clothes, bibs, receiving blankets, socks, booties, onesies, burp clothes, books, bottles, bottle brushes, gift cards (even one to Home Depot!) and all things babies need. I even received a breast pump from my mother and we received a Wii from one of the Kays! The lady at the store suggested we register for it so I can use it to get in shape at home after the baby is born, but of course we will enjoy it between now and then as well. And, my hostesses not only threw this amazing shower but gave me amazing gifts too.

It was a lovely, lovely event and I am so thankful for the time, effort and resources that went into it from everyone. It is truly humbling to attend these showers as the honored guest and see and hear all the wonderful things people are saying and giving to you. We are so blessed.

Since this has already gone a bit, I'll come back another day to show you what my mom and Unk and Bevi brought us from Indy and more. See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!