Sunday, June 6, 2010

Apparently I'm One of THOSE People

So, I think, given it's been WEEKS since I blogged about anything else, and the blogging has really slowed to a snail's pace - I think, God help me, I think I've become one of THOSE PEOPLE who have nothing - absolutely nothing - nothing else to talk about except their kid(s).

AND MY KID ISN'T EVEN HERE YET!

People, this doesn't bode well for me. Or you. Or this blog. Sister, I have to find a way out of this quagmire. But, you see, it is truly consuming my world right now. First, he is with me all the time. Heh heh. Affecting my mood, my body, my digestive tract. Second, there is so much to DO before arrives that when I am not at work, I am pretty much DOING that. So forget the cool hobbies. Forget taking photos of a lovely field of wildflowers at dusk. Which I have passed several days with the notion to return but have not. Forget pretty much anything remotely interesting for the foreseeable future. I am so very sorry about that. I really am. I hope one day, before he turns 18, I can return to my previous list of things to talk about. Read about. Spend time about. Forget it. Because, my friend, sadly, for now, I have unconsciously and unavoidably one of THOSE PEOPLE. Good God. Help me.

IMG_6602 (by Ateupamateur)

So, since I'm one of those people, today's post is of course about that. Some random updates for you. First, as of yesterday, I am now officially 31 weeks pregnant. This is obviously not a monthly milestone, but it does get the weeks LEFT - that is, if I go to 40 weeks - it takes the weeks left until this blessed event down to single digits - only 9 weeks and counting. That photo up there was taken on Saturday (30 weeks and 6 days) so you can see an update of my largess, shall we say. It was taken at a lovely baby shower, of which I will speak in more detail later this week. Because, of course, it fits in the ONLY topic apparently available at this juncture. And because it was wonderful.

But for today, second, my mom sent me photos from the Indiana shower to include in my baby book. And in said photos was this photo:

mom and me at shower (by Ateupamateur)
Me and My Mama

Included in the photos from the fabulous surprise Indiana shower was that lovely photo of me and my mom! Isn't it a nice one of both of us? I really liked it, so I had to share it with you.

IMG_5982 (by Ateupamateur)
The fabulous hostesses from the May baby shower - Deborah is 2nd from right.

Third, my friend Deborah and her husband John gave birth to their daughter Rachel last week. I went by to see them, but didn't take my camera. Well, I had the purse camera but the lighting was low and we were visiting so much that I didn't remember to take a photo! I plan to take their little family a meal sometime soon, so I'll get some photos of the new little one then to share with you!

OK, fourth. Fourth I am typing this from the utility room, where we have now set up office and vacated the guest room to make it into baby's room. The computer/desk stuff was the last to go, and I feel as if we have completed a minor miracle getting the space cleaned out. Seriously. So, all that is left in the room is what is staying there. I even spent some time Sunday night putting baby stuff away in the room. It was fun! Now - having my home office right next to the back door - well the verdict is still out on that one. I am dangerously close to the outside creepy crawlies that seem to sometimes make it inside the back door. We are going to have to come to terms with one another's presence very soon or I am not sure I will spend much time right here! But, I am willing to give it the old college try - and a good spray of insecticide.

And, last but not least, we had another doctor visit last Wednesday. They are every other week at this point, soon to become weekly quality time at the obgyn's place. Last Wednesday, you may remember, was to be our second try at the 3D sonogram. I followed the sonogram technician's instructions and drank a Coca-Cola while sitting in the waiting room. I am here to tell you this did nothing to budge baby S from where he wanted to be. This time, in fact, he was intent on playing with his fingers and rubbing his eyes - covering his face from time to time - while we were trying to snatch a peak. The sonogram technician again didn't think we were able to get a "great" shot, so we have scheduled one more outing as part of my visit on the 16th. If it doesn't happen then, sister, then it just isn't going to happen. We'll wait for his arrival a few short weeks later.

He still has only "peach fuzz" - of course we don't know what color that fuzz is. And he still might get more hair before he arrives on the outside. And, remember, the nose is distorted in these photos, so we'll have to wait for him to get here before we can decide who's nose he has. Here are the "best" of the 2nd try "photos" and a few more details from the doctor visit:

30 wk 3 (by Ateupamateur)
The best "front" shot, but the nose is distorted.
He has gotten chubbier, no?

30 wk 5 (by Ateupamateur)
Cute little mouth finishing a yawn...

I met another one of the doctors in the office for this visit. And, don't tell my regular doctor, but I really liked her. Like maybe even better than my regular doctor. She was great. Turns out I lost those two pounds I picked up as of last visit, so I am back down to total weight gained of one pound. Go figure.


30 wk 12 (by Ateupamateur)
Side profile with hands on face.

30 wk 18 (by Ateupamateur)
Another "sleepy" look.

And, I decided to start asking questions to follow up on something the surgeon said to me two years ago after a procedure I had. See, (skip to the next paragraph if you don't want the details...) I had surgery to remove a rather large pedunculated fibroid - that is a fibroid outside of the uterus. It was laparoscopic surgery. The fibroid was held onto the outside of my uterus by a large stalk. Because of that stalk, they had to cut into the uterine wall to remove the entire thing. At the time the surgeon mentioned he wasn't sure I would be able to labor naturally because of this cutting. The danger is that the uterus could rupture. Pretty horrible danger.


30 wk 23 (by Ateupamateur)
Last one - eye is open here.

So anyhoo, I asked the doctor about this, and asked them to look into it so I could know what they think I will be able to do. And, it turns out I do indeed need to plan to have a c-section. In one way, I want what is totally best and safest. On the other hand, I am a bit bummed I won't get to try it the old fashioned way. But, there are upsides - my parents will be able to know when I am scheduled to have the baby, and will be able to plan accordingly to be here. Insurance will pay for more paid maternity leave. Of course, that's because it's a harder recovery, of course, but I prefer to think of it as a positive to have more weeks paid. And there are many, many more pros and cons. But, that's the deal. There's the skinny. Seems I won't be walking around as long as possible in labor anyway.

Instead, they will let my baby out via c-section on July 30th! We now have a birth date - which happens to be not only my Unk's birthday but my cousin Robin's son Gabe as well. So he will be in good company. And a deadline - we now know EXACTLY when we need to be ready for this little boy to join us. Boy oh boy oh boy!

So I think that gets you up to speed, except, of course, for a recap of the wonderful baby shower last weekend. Which, of course I will get to later this week. Thanks for reading, and thanks for understanding that I can't seem to help becoming one of THOSE PEOPLE.

See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!