Saturday, August 14, 2010

Three Weeks Old

I have other things to tell you about that happened during his first three weeks of life, but I figure if I don't jump to the present I might be reporting on his first birthday when he is 16. My goal is to back-fill the other information as I can but try to stay up to date as much as possible going forward. We'll see how that goes! I am already a few days behind my plan with this post, but that was mainly due to the time it took to upload my photos...the new camera photo files are enormous! We will have to find a new way to upload/resize/something to streamline that process. Anyway...here we go:


IMG_6332
One week old, lying on Nana's quilt.

The Little Man (or LM for short) turned three weeks old on Friday. It seems impossible he has been here for three weeks and impossible he has been here for ONLY three weeks. Life is not the same. Every day is an adventure and I am so thankful for this time with him.

This last week, S was home as well with us and will be here next week too. It's been just wonderful having this time as a family. My dad and Torchy left the week before that. They were such a huge help to us while they were here. S's mom came for two days to sit with us and was also a tremendous help. My mom arrives back in town on Saturday, and I am also looking forward to her return. This is a definitely a time when you want family help nearby!


IMG_6313
LM and S when he was one week old.

At this point in his three week little life, he is generally a mellow baby. We have had some days where he seemed gassy or irritable, but they are not the norm, knock on wood. We learned at the pediatrician's office he was 8 pounds, which puts him in the 25th percentile for weight at that age. His head circumference was in the 40th percentile, and his height - 20 5/8 inches (1 and 3/8 longer than at birth) was smack dab at 50%. So, this led the nurse to say he was going to be tall and skinny like his father. Who the heck knows. The doctor checked him out and said he looked great. He has some gunk in his eyes occasionally, which is a normal newborn tear duct malady that should clear up by six months. If it doesn't clear up by then he will need a procedure. But, the doctor showed us what to do to help clear the ducts out and that seems to be working.


IMG_6388
Big yawn (being held by Grandpa) at ten days old.

He also had to have the second heel prick test by Texas law. Boy, was that no fun! The nurse has to make his heel bleed and then completely fill five paper circles with his blood. This took forever. No, really, it did. I am not exaggerating or overreacting. It was a LONG process and LM screamed through the whole thing except when he would suck on my finger for a while. Poor little dude. I tried to focus on helping him through it instead of his pain and that helped me through it.


IMG_6383
Is that the sweetest 10 day grin you ever did see?
Yes it is. Yes it is.

We scheduled his one month, two month and four month appointments while we were there and they sent us on our way. I guess there is no unpleasantness at the one month appointment, but shots begin at two months. Being a mom is not for the faint of heart!


IMG_6395
Ready for his close-up, on Grandma's lap.

Little Man is a good little eater, but takes a long time to eat. The pediatrician felt he was using me as a human pacifier and suggested some new ways to feed to speed up the process. We have introduced the pacifier more as well when he is not feeding so he can suck on something else. Ahem. He seems to really appreciate having the pacifier at times and then at other times is not interested in the least. So time will tell whether he is a pacifier baby or not, I guess. At times when he is gassy, the gripe water seems to help him more than the mylacon, but I guess that could change.

We are also trying to get into more of a rhythm to his eating, awake time and sleeping time. That isn't going the way the book says it should...I am trying to not think I have messed him up already, but that it will take us both a while to figure that out too. In the meantime, we keep trying and we feed him and love him.


IMG_6458
Two weeks old on Nana's quilt

Up until now, he has only worn newborn onesies, outfits and pajamas because they are the only things that fit. We had to move up to size one diapers though, because he was peeing out the sides of the newborn ones, no matter where you aimed it in the diaper. Ahem. Size one diapers (And 0-3 month clothes) are still really a bit big but there isn't anything in between! His little newborn pajamas are starting to show signs of being outgrown too...I am so glad he is growing so nicely, but it is sort of sad too - they only stay that little for such a short time! I am trying to drink in this time with him full of memories.


IMG_6530
Sweet little kissable bird mouth!

Let's see what else I can tell you about him so far - he likes music a lot - he likes the music on his bouncy seat, and he loves for people to sing to him. Anything. At all. Even when he is fussy, this calms him down immeasurably. In the mornings, when we are awake and alert, (both of us) we have started investigating a couple of rattles and other little toys - just something new and different for him to check out and look at that holds his attention for a while. He also likes fabrics with patterns on them. He is sleeping in the cradle pretty well for naps and at night, which we really didn't start until he reached two weeks, so I feel that is going really well. He does not, however, seem to like to sleep there during the day. We have a ways to go on that one. We will keep trying.

IMG_6577
Big eyes - looking much older, I think.

He sleeps one 5-6 hour stretch each night most of the time. One night he even slept for seven hours. I, of course, did not. I woke up in a panic when I realized the time and figured he had stopped breathing or something! He was fine, of course. I guess it is a new mommy rite of passage. I will do it again, don't worry. Anyhoo - this stretch at night coupled with a nap during the day usually keeps me rested enough to not go insane. For the most part. Insanity for the new parent is a relative term. Ahem.


IMG_6590
I tried to pose him curled up on this cute bench.
He stretched out too fast...don't worry - I was close enough to catch him!

He likes to be held. He likes to cuddle up next to your neck - your skin - he likes to touch your skin - and will wrap one little arm around your neck and snuggle right up next to you. He does not like to have his hands wrapped in the swaddle at all - so we swaddle "below the armpits" and he seems to appreciate that. He likes to have his hands up near his face and around his mouth pretty much all the time, which, if you will remember, was exactly where they were in the womb. Little Man also likes to be rocked. We don't have a baby swing, but we might be purchasing one in the near future!


IMG_6626
Speaking of poses, daddy posed this one...
wifebeater shirt, hands in pants, sitting in the recliner.
That's his boy! And check out the shark shorts!

We have taken a few trips out of the house just to get out - one to eat one night when Little Man was snoozing in his car seat. One time on a fussy day so he would calm down as we drove. Once to Babies R Us to return/purchase supplies. But, mostly we stay home. We focus on the feeding and revolve around his schedule. One day we will get out and about more but that can wait. It's too darn hot out there anyway! A good time to sit at home with a newborn, I'd say!


IMG_6629
He is growing right before our eyes!

The other night we Skyped with Dad and Torchy - it was cool to be able to see and talk to one another over the Internet. We hope to get my mom all set up on that as well when she is here next week before she returns to Indy. It will be a fun way to stay in touch and let them see the baby moving and interacting with us. Better than photos! I wanted to bring the Skype call up because I am certain LM recognized dad and Torchy's voices! No kidding...he was VERY asleep when the call began and as soon as he heard them he began to stir. I think he knew who they were. Very sweet.


IMG_6580
Three weeks old on Nana's quilt.

Little Man is a sweet boy who has that wonderful new baby smell, makes those precious new baby sounds and is a gift to us. We are enjoying him and are so glad to have him as our son!

See you soon!

6 comments:

  1. Precious baby, loving post.
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that super cool stool from the Dunlaps? We have those. Best Baby Present Ever! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that is the super cool stool from the Dunlaps! We love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is gorgeous! Enjoy every minute because they grow up so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed your post! Such a cute little guy! I had to giggle when I read about the night he slept 7 hrs and you freaked. I did the same thing when Gabe was that little and it was 7 hrs for us. I woke up and realized it and also had to go make sure he was still breathing. Definately a new mom thing! I'm so happy you are "drinking in" all the newborn time with him. I was in a baby store the other day and smelled Dreft and all those first days came back in my memory! Keep on enjoying your new life!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!