Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Texas Christmas

IMG_5768 (by Ateupamateur)

When we made it back to Texas after Christmas, we gathered together with S's side of the family to celebrate the holiday (and his birthday) a little late.


IMG_5775 (by Ateupamateur)
It was mostly about kids opening presents.

IMG_5779 (by Ateupamateur)
This was an unusual gift for Alexandra.

I wish I had a "before" photo. In fact, I thought I HAD a "before" photo. I looked everywhere for it, and it's nowhere to be found, so I guess I don't have one. It is unusual in that we aren't usually the artsy crafty types. We're usually the "cash in hand" type of aunt or uncle. So, this was indeed exceptional prior planning on our part.

Anyway, I picked up that babydoll crib, completely in disrepair, at the same rummage sale where I purchased the little stool that I refurbished. I decided it had potential and the niece closest to the appropriate age for all that potential was probably Alexandra. S sanded down the structure, filled the nail holes, smoothed and repaired the wood. I created a mattress and cover, pillow and baby blanket. I even made a blankie for Alexandra so she and her babydoll would have a matching pair.


IMG_5782 (by Ateupamateur)

I think it turned out pretty well. If you could see the "before" photos you would think so too. Alexandra received a babydoll from Santa that will be perfect for the new babydoll crib. (not pictured here) But, when she opened it, she decided SHE was the perfect size for the babydoll crib. Not exactly the plan, but you know, go with the flow.


IMG_5791 (by Ateupamateur)

Since I was sewing, and Andrew likes to cuddle with soft things, I made this "boy" blankie for him. Of course, he really was more into the wrapping paper than the presents at his age.


IMG_5794 (by Ateupamateur)
The parents opened some gifts too.


IMG_5809 (by Ateupamateur)
Then we were entertained by the munchkins.


IMG_5812 (by Ateupamateur)
That's pretty much how it goes when they are around.
And they are pretty entertaining.

So look at that - even on hiatus, I've managed to recap Christmas before the end of January. I am feverishly preparing for my first class, which happens to be on Thursday. Wish me luck. I'm gonna need it.

Happy Tuesday! See you soon.

1 comment:

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!