Sunday, January 24, 2010

A Fun Night for John

You know S's friend John and his wife Jennifer, not to mention his cute little boy Jack, and his mom and aunt that we saw at the Pioneer Woman's book signing...

...well, John, as I've mentioned here and there, is having a time of it recently. Those fabulous lungs he received just a little over two years ago are now being rejected by his body. He's been in and out of the hospital with the complications from this. Not to mention this treatment and that, all trying to stop the rejection. He's back on the transplant list, hoping to get another set of life saving lungs, and trying to stay well enough to endure the surgery that comes with a transplant like that.

IMG_5601 (by Ateupamateur)
Jennifer and Jack at the party.

And Jennifer and Jack have to be emotionally spent too. And his parents. And scores of other friends and relatives. It's exhausting wishing the best for your loved one. Of course, it's the only thing to do - the thing you want to be there to do - but it is draining - taxing - a long haul for everyone involved. Not to mention John is the kind of person who, lying in that bed, I am certain, is on some level worrying about what he can do for all of them. It's a trying, tiring situation where everyone is hoping - waiting - praying - for the best. And feeling the good wishes of friends around them. And the good work of prayer. Nonetheless...it has to be, well, not what any of them would like to be doing.

Saturday night, one of John's friends organized a fundraiser to benefit John and his family. The funds collected from a cover charge for each participant and from a silent auction of hundreds of donated items all went to John's family to help defray the costs of medical care, living expenses while John is away from work, and the general needs of his family. You would not believe the outpouring of his friends and family and the outpouring of total strangers for this auction. There were hundreds - HUNDREDS - of auction items at all price levels. From baseballs to high end vacations and everything in between.

In fact, I went to the salon Saturday to get a little update. While I was there, my stylist and friend Michelle, who happens to be the best stylist in the world in case you were wondering, asked me what we were doing Saturday night. So, I told her we were going to this benefit. She up and donated a haircut/blow dry/style from her to the event. Can you believe that? I thought it was incredibly nice of her. And it brought in some money for John's family. So it was great.


IMG_5609 (by Ateupamateur)

Anyway, the event was held at this very chic bar called the AM/PM Lounge. I am here to tell you one thing I quite know for sure about that place - that I am certainly not cool enough to be part of their regular clientele. Not even close. The event was from 6-8pm, long before the regulars would be coming out to party on a Saturday night. You know, after I'm in bed, comfortably sleeping in my jammies. And I meant to take my good camera to the event, but in the hustle and bustle of the day I totally forgot. So I had the trusty purse camera and you have some grainy, slightly blurry photos to check out of the festivities.


IMG_5612 (by Ateupamateur)
S, Cheryl and Sam

S's brother Michael and his wife Brooke went along as well as S's parents Sam and Cheryl. S and John have been friends since they were in the 2nd grade, so the whole family knows John and wanted to pitch in.


IMG_5606 (by Ateupamateur)
The bidding floor.

We all had a fun time bidding on some items of interest. And we all won something we were bidding on. S won some very nice Nocona boots. I tried to win the one female pair but the bidding got too rich for me. I won some hair products that I use regularly. S's dad won a retro looking radio that he really had his eye on. Brooke and Michael won a portrait session from an acclaimed local portrait photographer. So, it was a good night for us too, I'd say!


IMG_5610 (by Ateupamateur)
A photo of the big, main bar.

IMG_5611 (by Ateupamateur)
The kitchen, just behind the bidding area.

IMG_5595 (by Ateupamateur)
A close up of some auction items.

IMG_5599 (by Ateupamateur)
I thought this ceiling of disco balls was cool.

IMG_5608 (by Ateupamateur)
A cool chair on the way to the restroom.

IMG_5607 (by Ateupamateur)
The restrooms.

Yes, that's right. The restrooms were cutting edge too. They were very "open." Don't get me wrong, the commodes were individually behind those and other doors out of the frame, but you could see right into the men's and women's sides of the space, with that column there separating the area. If you were a woman washing your hands at the sink or checking your hair, any man doing the same could see you and vice versa. Clearly, again, I was totally not cool enough for this place. And I am totally comfortable with my un-coolness.

But, what was definitely way cool - cooler than this place and all the people in it - was the collective way everyone came together for John and his family. That part was way, way cool. And, of course, we are keeping John in our prayers, wishing and hoping the very best outcome of this current situation, and many, many more future, happy reasons to party.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!