Thursday, May 20, 2010

A Peek Inside and Out

On Sunday I officially ushered in the third trimester of this wild and crazy pregnancy ride I've been on for a while. I finished 28 weeks. 12 weeks to go until he's fully cooked. Incidentally, trimesters are not created equal in many ways - one way - the number of weeks. First trimester is 12 weeks. Second trimester is 16 weeks. Third trimester is 12 weeks. Uh-huh. They sneak that tenth month in on you in the second trimester. You might notice more if it were stuck on the end, I suppose.

To commemorate this occasion, S took some more photos of me and the belly. The growing belly! And then yesterday we went to another doctor appointment and a 3D sonogram. So, we have some new photos of the babe as well.

First up - the photos of the "outside", and they were even taken outside:

28 weeks (1) (by Ateupamateur)
Who knows what S was saying to garner the great look on my face.

When I went to the doctor yesterday, I met the "boy" doctor I mentioned before. I tried to study his face, you know, so I'll recognize him when he walks into the delivery room to deliver my baby. Because it's sure to happen. Sure, sure, I won't care. But, it's sure to occur, sister. I'll tell you that. Good news is he didn't seem like a serial killer or anything. He seemed nice. He asked me how well I was sleeping. (OK, I guess.) And, he asked other questions that seemed to indicate he might care about my welfare. So, I guess it was a good visit.


28 weeks (4) (by Ateupamateur)
Sideways shot - another silly face.

Let's see...my blood pressure was a little higher than normal, but not too bad. I think maybe that will just be how it is until after I give birth and get rid of all this extra blood. And the extra being, too, of course. Hee hee. I gained two pounds since last month, so I'm up three pounds total for the pregnancy. The thing is, I start going every two weeks now, so like the appointments, I bet the weight will come piling on as well. Mr. Doctor also measured my belly. 31 centimeters. Apparently normal. And, the Doppler registered his heartbeat at a relatively slow 150. Apparently also completely normal. That's pretty much the entire appointment!

Then, we went over to another area of the doctor's office to have a 3D sonogram. This is an elective sonogram that you have to pay a little extra for, but we had some flexible spending money burning a hole in our pocket so we decided to go ahead and do it. What the heck. Turns out Baby S wasn't really into having his picture taken today. We didn't get any really great shots of him - only profile photos mainly, but I will show some of them to you, OK? OK.


WAG_3 28 wks (by Ateupamateur)
Baby's profile.

We were able to get a bunch of this exact pose - this was where he wanted to be, and wasn't interested in moving. We mushed on him quite a bit, but the only thing that got us was a good kick to the sonographer. He was apparently comfortable where he was.


WAG_6 28 wks (by Ateupamateur)
Only "sorta" front on view.

Don't pay much attention to the nose in these photos - apparently noses are the most distorted feature, because it is the first one the sound waves hit. We could not decide who's eyes he has, but we all thought he has S's mouth. I'm very glad about this - I think he definitely has the more attractive mouth of the two parents, so I'm glad our baby got it.


WAG_8 28 wks (by Ateupamateur)
Side view.

And, from this angle we can tell he has detached earlobes. Also notable is he has no hair except for perhaps some peach fuzz. Not that it won't grow between now and birth, but this little fact leans toward my family's babies over S's. All of S's brother's kids have had plenty of dark hair when they were born. My family's babies mostly are bald.

Since we were unable to get a full-on good shot of his face, the sonographer invited us to come back again the next time I'm in the office to try again. She suggested I drink a sugared, caffeinated beverage in the waiting room right before coming to see her so the little guy moves around a bit. I go back in on June 2, so we'll see how successful we are on that day. I'll share any new photos with you here, of course!

See you soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!