Monday, May 17, 2010

Showered with fun

Saturday was the first Dallas baby shower.

may 15 grad school shower invite (by Ateupamateur)
You know, the one connected to this cute invite?
Yeah, that one.

This one was a small group of friends from my grad school days. This was also sort of the triumvirate of baby showers...number one would have been Deborah's, chronicled here. Incidentally, Deborah is about to have her second baby on June 1...so she's the MORE-pregnant- than-me one in these photos. She looks fabulous, of course. I hope I look that good in a couple of months! The second baby shower - at the same place, in the same room, was Stacy's, chronicled here. Stacy had her baby in late January. She's the mother-of-an-almost-four-month-old in these photos. She looks fabulous, of course. I hope I look that good when I have a four month old!

The shower was hosted by my good friends Deborah, Stacy, Wilma and Maria. It is so nice to have such good friends. And, I should say, while I'm at it, that my other two hostesses, and really, all the guests, looked fabulous. Because it's true and I don't want anyone ever to think I didn't notice. I took my camera, and you will see there are some photos here, but sister, I am not very good at taking photos at my own baby showers, clearly! This is the second one, and other photos people take with my camera notwithstanding, I do a poor job of covering the event when I am the honored guest, it seems. But, here are a few for you today.

First up, a smattering of guest photos:

grad school shower (12) (by Ateupamateur)
Deborah and Wilma, catching up.


grad school shower (by Ateupamateur)
Maria and Angela doing the same.


grad school shower (5) (by Ateupamateur)
You might recognize Angela a little better in this one...


grad school shower (6) (by Ateupamateur)
My fabulous grad school mentor and dear friend Pat.
And, in the blurry background, our also newly pregnant friend Alexa!
Congrats Alexa!


grad school shower (7) (by Ateupamateur)
OK, so like I said, I don't do a great job with the photos at these things.
But, I want to also say my mother-in-law Cheryl attended, which was very nice!
Would have been nicer had I gotten her in focus and all...details!
As you will also see, though, thankfully, Stacy took photos too!


grad school shower (2) (by Ateupamateur)
Speaking of blur, what a great photo this would have been!
Stacy and Wilma, visiting before we had lunch.


grad school shower (11) (by Ateupamateur)
Baby drop cloths.


Of course, there are two amazingly wonderful things that happen at these showers. First, you get to catch up, carry on, and remember why you like these girls so much and wonder why you don't get together more often. And how lucky you are to know them and have them in your life. Two, the honored guest (in this case, me, writing in the third person) is humbled and thankful for the thoughtful, special gifts she receives for this impending newborn. There were so many nice things - changing pad and cover, disposable table covers, diapers, an adorable guitar onesie, bottle warmer, storage sets, bath supplies, bassinet sheet, bib, wipes. The photo above is of the burp clothes with a theme - funny huh? And, last but not least, my fabulous hostesses got us this:

grad school shower (10) (by Ateupamateur)
The pack-n-play! Woo-hoo! How nice was that?


grad school shower (9) (by Ateupamateur)
In addition, they gave out these adorable cookie favors.
In two of our nursery colors, no less.


grad school shower (8) (by Ateupamateur)
Group shot.
Back row: Maria, Alexa, Lola, Pat, Angela, Cheryl
Front row: Wilma, Stacy, Amy, Deborah

On a completely unrelated note, I watched GLEE for the first time last week and I am totally hooked - it's totally goofy, but I LOVED it! And, I'm bringing this up now because I want you to notice - doesn't Deborah look like the twin sister of this GLEE actress? Am I right? I know - striking resemblance, no? OK, back to the shower.

I have to say, what an amazing group of women in that photo! They are all so great - accomplished, thoughtful, funny, smart women. And what a lucky girl I am to know them all and have them in my life. And what fun it was to spend the afternoon with them. Thank you ladies, for taking part of a Saturday to come out to the shower. Thank you, hostesses, for hosting a lovely event. Thank you to everyone for their thoughtful and useful presents. It was so much fun!



IMG_6537 2 (by Ateupamateur)
And...there is more fun to come!

I have a couple more showers coming up in June...this adorable invite showed up in my mail at the end of last week. Of course, I'll show you the photos I get around to taking and let you know all about it here after they happen. I can't wait to see everyone.

That's it for now! See you soon.


1 comment:

  1. Looks like fun was had by all. You look great...I like your hair long and curly.

    And I still haven't mailed that stuff I told you I'd do. I'll go get it right now.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!