Tuesday, May 4, 2010

6 and One Half Months

For those of you who don't get why pregnancy is counted in weeks, this week equates to 6 and one half months. 26 weeks. So there you go. And, again, overnight it seems, the belly is protruding more than it was previously. S took some progress photos for you and for me. Incidentally, you know why they don't count months, don't you? Because pregnancy is MORE than nine months, my friend. Take 40 weeks and divide it into months...you do the math. Yep, that's right, it's closer to TEN months of gestation. Ahem.

26 weeks (by Ateupamateur)
Front view.

Let's see...what updates can I tell you from the last such update. Well, the shirt I'm wearing in the photo came from my friend Kellie. She provided me, very nicely, with some maternity clothes last weekend that she no longer needs. Also in the "gimme" department, I failed to mention in the recent Indiana posts that my niece Amber provided Baby S with two huge bags of hand me downs from her son Rolen. And sister-in-law Brooke gave us another huge bag just the other day. The kid won't be naked, that's what we're sure of. Thank goodness for family and friends!

26 weeks (2) (by Ateupamateur)
Also helping with the photos - Ellie.
She wanted to be part of the action.

Also since the last post - turns out I turned myself inside out and into an unnecessary lather about the one hour glucose test. Such a lather, in fact, that I failed it. Probably because of said lather instead of anything else. Hindsight. You see, I was just certain I was going to fail that test. I don't know why. I just was. When the nurse took my blood pressure that afternoon, it was 148/80. My normal blood pressure is 110/70. Or lower. I said to the nurse, "Wow, that's high!" She said, "Yeah, we'll try again in a couple of minutes." Coupla minutes pass, blood pressure is taken again, result is a bit better - 138/80, but still sky high. Also turns out that when your body feels you are stressed, you know what it does? It holds sugar. Nice going, Ate Up. Nice going.

26 weeks (5) (by Ateupamateur)
Side view.

So I failed the test and was sent to then take the three hour glucose test the following week. But this test, in addition to being three hours long. THREE HOURS LONG. A THREE HOUR TEST. A THREE HOUR TEST. In addition to that, you have to eat NO SUGAR, mainly protein for three days prior and then you must fast from 10pm the night before you go into the lab at 8:30am. I am here to tell you I am not much on sugar these days, but I do like me some fruit. And an occasional carb. So three protein days were a buzzkill. Then, I will let you imagine what a lovely human I was after no coffee or breakfast. For three hours. Did I mention it was a three hour test? Maybe I did.

26 weeks (11) (by Ateupamateur)
S then went all "artistic" on me...a close up.

So they take your blood when you arrive. Then you drink this super sweet orange carbonated liquid. Then they take your blood at one hour. At two hours. At three hours. By the time I got to three hours, sister, I was in no shape to be on this planet. But, I was calm for the test. And I had resolved that if I ended up with gestational diabetes, it wasn't the end of the world. It would be a pain, but it would be alright. You cannot control if you get it, but you can control how you react to it, how you control your diet, etc. If controlled, there is no adverse effect on the baby. And it goes away after the baby is born.

26 weeks (7) (by Ateupamateur)
Me, wondering what the heck S is doing.

Back to my state at the end of the test. S wrote me an email asking if I wanted to meet up for lunch. I wrote him back sure, but if he wasn't there when I got to the restaurant, I was starting without him. Then, before he received my email, he phoned me and asked me if I wanted to meet up. At this point what I can only describe as a hunger-pregnancy-no caffeine induced meltdown ensued. I thought he was calling to ask me to wait for him. I said, probably louder than a normal speaking tone, "I said I would like to meet, but I am NOT waiting for you!" He said, "Why are you yelling at me?" Then I said something like, "Do you get what I'm saying man? I am NOT waiting for you - I haven't eaten in FOURTEEN HOURS!!!" (I do want to point out that 14 hours without food is cruel and unusual punishment for a pregnant lady. Thank you.) Tears started gushing from my eyes. I started repeating, "Do you get what I'm saying?" I was now in a full-on bawling session, driving down the road to eat. I think he got that I was not rational at that moment. He met me...and had tea, since I had already eaten. God bless him. I think he loves me.

26 weeks (4) (by Ateupamateur)
Me, asking what he's doing. "Being artistic," he said.

OK, so this story is getting way too long, but I waited for the results the next day which I was sure were going to confirm gestational diabetes...meaning dietitians, food journals, finger pricks for the next three months. But the nurse called. And it turns out I don't have it. Amen. I'm moving on and am so thankful!

Mother's Day Flowers (by Ateupamateur)
Orchids and lemons...how unique and fabulous!

Also in the "I think he loves me!" category...Monday S sent flowers to my place of employment. Why? Wait for it...for MOTHER'S DAY! Awwwwwww! So I could enjoy them all week. What a doll. I wasn't really expecting a Mother's Day gift - I mean, I am not yet a MOTHER and all, but it was such a wonderfully sweet, loving, kind gesture. And sister, I'm enjoying the heck out of those flowers.

26 weeks (3) (by Ateupamateur)
So there's the update. On this topic.
Once again. See you soon.

2 comments:

  1. you look fabulous, and you ARE a mother, my dear, because you're taking care of that little one, you know...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look awesome!

    Shelby Peak

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!