Thursday, September 13, 2012

Kerry's Jewelry


I tried recently to photograph some of my friend Kerry's jewelry. It was a lesson for me in how to go about doing this. I learned a lot. There are a couple of decent photos, though, and the jewelry is lovely, so I thought I would share a couple and tell you what I've learned about this so far:

IMG_6895.jpg
First of all, it should be said, it was a HOT day.
And I had this one with me because S was out of town on business.

IMG_6897.jpg
Kerry's cute granddaughter stayed and played with him.
They played pretty well together, especially considering it was the end of the day.

IMG_6753.jpg
We tried this neutral background...

IMG_6774.jpg
...and a black background.

If I were to do it again, I would use only white or black, and black that was lint free and not patterned. And, I really need a macro lens for this work. I couldn't get close enough with the 50 mm I was trying to use. 

IMG_6797.jpg

IMG_6800.jpg

IMG_6811.jpg
This was an unusual angle I tried that served up an interesting result.

IMG_6815.jpg

IMG_6822.jpg

IMG_6828.jpg

I also used a shady spot outdoors, so I had some pretty good diffused light. But, I think, for jewelry, I need more reflective light, perhaps more direct and brighter light. Not sure. I think some brightness might be good for the stones, especially, though. Of course, I could have raised the exposure in post processing, but I didn't really like the look of that either. I also found shooting the metal jewelry to be tricky. It would pick up light in strange ways and it was hard to control the color in post processing. I have a lot to still learn on this topic, that is clear.

IMG_6833.jpg

IMG_6843.jpg

IMG_6849.jpg

IMG_6848.jpg

IMG_6882.jpg

IMG_6964.jpg
Kerry's sweet dogs...

IMG_6966.jpg
...were there for moral support as well.

IMG_6904.jpg
I tried to take clasp photos on almost every piece...many of them weren't clear. 
Back to that macro lens idea...

IMG_6906.jpg

IMG_6916.jpg

IMG_6922.jpg

IMG_6938.jpg

So, there you have it. I hope to try again sometime - maybe with a lightbox and a macro lens. We shall see how it goes. 

See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!