Sunday, May 5, 2013

You're Gonna Miss Them When They're Gone

Since I haven't been writing much, I'm weeks behind in putting down what we've been up to. A few weeks ago, LM and I went to Indiana for a long weekend visit. Miss Veda is singing in the middle school choir, and had this little ditty she was fond of showing off, which she had fashioned to sing along with this cup trick that is currently all the rage amongst the twelve-year-old set:


Since we saw Veda at Christmas, she has turned into a middle schooler, in her looks especially. She has grown a ton! I remember when I taught school, we used to say the sixth graders became middle schoolers about halfway through the year. The first half of the year, they really still belong in the elementary school, but then something happens and BOOM there they are, middle school all the way. (It also happens to the 8th graders about halfway through that year - they turn into high schoolers before it's time...) This has certainly turned out to be the case for Miss Veda. She has grown and changed a TON, in my opinion, in a few short months.

Miss Cora got in on the fun.
Notice the difference in her style. 
This is so fun to see how they are all different.

I remember my twelfth birthday, actually, for some reason, as a turning point for me as well. I remember my birthday list included a stuffed animal (a peach puffalump I took with me to college) and grown up things like clothes and jewelry too. I was still a kid, very much, but growing up I guess.


Veda, who was very patient, while LM tried to imitate her.

Here's the thing though - when Veda started singing the words to this song - it struck me - she is closer to being "gone" - grown - flown the coop, out into the world, a real adult - than she is a kid. She WILL be "gone" so soon! How can this be true???  Childhood is so fleeting, so precious and so special. I hope she will hang onto it for a little while longer.

LM gave it a go on his own.

Cherish these moments, I reminded myself. Cherish the good times, the hugs, the laughs and the frustrations, the tears, the irritations. Hug them, love them, make memories and forever imprint yourselves on one another's hearts. Because you'll miss them when they're gone.

See you soon.

3 comments:

  1. Very nice. I like to think they'll be around for a while though. I may be fooling myself, but I think it anyway.-Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made me cry. I think I may be in denial :(

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!