Tuesday, August 14, 2012

San Diego, Day 5

I wanted to post this early this morning, or even last night. But, S is in Chicago on a work trip, and I promised the boy he could sleep with me. Amateur parent tactical mistake numero uno. The boy was so excited to sleep with me that he wouldn't actually sleep for quite some time. I laid down with him, thinking he would go right to sleep ala his regular schedule and that did not happen. By the time he fell asleep, or shortly before, I fell asleep myself. So, no blog writing happened! And then, this morning, I was on duty to take the boy to school, so no time there either. So, I thought I might write a little ditty on my lunch break. Here we go.

On day 5, friends, we went to the USS Midway and Seaport Village, and at night, we went to the beach. Here are the photos to prove it:

IMG_5920.jpg

IMG_5921.jpg
This is but part of the hangar on this baby. 
It was huge.

Let me be the first to say I am not one to run to visit a military relic. In fact, I might be the first to walk the other way. But, we received free passes from Steph and her family to go. AND, practically every other person who had been to San Diego or lived there suggested we take it in. So, we went. And, sister, if you are going to San Diego, GO to the USS Midway. It is one of the best museums - and that really is what it is now - a museum. 

IMG_5924.jpg

IMG_5927.jpg

There is an audio tour that comes with admission that is one of the best audio tours I have ever encountered. It was really great. Then, there are exhibits and signs throughout the ship that help you understand what the different areas of the ship were used for, and what it might have been like to be housed there. Then, if that's not enough for you, there are docents throughout the vessel - volunteers - who are retired Navymen, most with firsthand knowledge of the Midway. They are right there to tell you what it was really like or what something was really used for. And, they know where the stroller parking and restrooms are too. 

IMG_5928.jpg

IMG_5931.jpg

It was a thoroughly enjoyable stop, and I learned quite a bit in the process. Even the LM enjoyed it, until he got tired and fell asleep in the stroller. But, heck, all of us would choose that option, if there was just someone to push, wouldn't we?

IMG_5934.jpg

IMG_5940.jpg

IMG_5943.jpg

IMG_5949.jpg

IMG_5964.jpg

IMG_5976.jpg
The Brig

IMG_5987.jpg

IMG_5996.jpg

IMG_6013.jpg

IMG_6016.jpg

IMG_6041.jpg

IMG_6053.jpg
A view from the deck of San Diego Bay

IMG_6054.jpg

IMG_6063.jpg

After the Midway, we walked to Seaport Village to have lunch and walk around the shops. S found some cool new kites there at a neat store. He can't wait to play with them with the Little Man. We got one out on the beach one night, but the other has yet to make it's maiden voyage. 

That night, we went to La Jolla Beach to watch the sun set and play in the sand. I took way too many photos of that, so I'll save them for another post. 

See you soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!