Last night, the boy and I made some Strawberry Gooey Butter Cookies - a recipe I found on Pinterest and thought would make a good Valentine's Day treat. Here are some photos of our efforts:
Very short ingredient list.
That's LM the photo bomber's arm over there on the right. He didn't quite understand that I would want a photo of just the ingredients. No. Not at all.
Cutest photo bomber ever though, no?
OK, you cream the butter and cream cheese together.
We let them get VERY soft before we tried this.
Then add in the egg. We forgot to add in the egg until the very end. But you won't forget to add the egg in here.
Then you're ready for the cake mix.
Opening the cake mix box is a big task for little hands.
At least this box on this night was a doozy.
Once it was open, though, he did an excellent job of pouring the cake mix in.
You can see our egg still sitting there - it went in next. ;-)
Then we put the batter in the refrigerator and rinsed off our utensils.
Then we had a LOT of time to kill. So we watched a little Yo Gabba Gabba, played with puzzles, rode the horse, and took a bath.
OK, after about an hour, the batter was good and cold.
I put the powdered sugar in a bowl and proceeded to roll the batter balls in the sugar.
This was an attempt at showing sticky hands without really touching the camera.
I found the batter to be really sticky, even after it was chilled. I guess I could have chilled it longer, but it was pretty firm, and well, able to be rolled into balls, but still sticky. The camera was sitting on the counter, so I used the cleanest finger to snap this photo, unseen. Worked OK I guess.
The recipe says it'll make 2 dozen - we made 26.
The recipe also says to use parchment paper. I did not use parchment paper because if I can help it, I don't use such things. They fall into the "too much trouble" category.
I put them in the oven for 10 minutes and that was just the right amount of time. They were easy to take off the cookie sheet - fine to have not used the parchment.
In these photos, they sort of look like raw meat hamburger patties.
I promise they were gooey delicious cookies!
I plated some up this morning just to make them look special.
Another successful cooking time with the boy!
Strawberry Gooey Butter Cookies - found on Cookies and Cups
makes about 24 cookies
- 1 (8 oz) block cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 box (18.25 oz) Strawberry Cake Mix
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- In your mixer cream together the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add egg and beat until combined.
- Turn mixer to low and slowly add in your cake mix. The dough will be thick.
- Refrigerate dough for about a hour or so, just enough so it's not quite as sticky. (I found it to be sticky even when the dough was very cold.)
- When dough is chilled preheat oven to 350° (or if you're like me you did this at the beginning and were wasting energy that whole time)
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper (I skipped this step - I live on the edge)
- Place powdered sugar in a small bowl.
- Roll dough into balls about 1 inch in diameter, then roll in powdered sugar.
- Place about 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet and bake for approx 10 minutes until centers are just set.
- Cool on wire rack