Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The Big 0's Barbecue

 IMG_0826.jpg

Sometime last fall, I had this silly idea to celebrate all the "0's" that would happen this year with a big family barbecue. My dad and his wife turn 70 this year, my oldest brother turned 50 back in February, I will, ahem, turn 40, as will S, and my nephew Deacon turned 10 back in March. So, that's a lot of "0's" and I thought we could celebrate all together. And, my family was kind enough to go along with it. We had this shin-dig when we were in Indy. Here are some photos:

IMG_0827.jpg
My Dad and his cards.

The purpose of the party was for us all to come together and enjoy one another - no presents were part of the official festivities. But, my dad got there a little early, and well, his birthday and Father's Day were to both happen in the coming weeks after we departed Indy, so we gave him our gifts right quick before anyone would notice.

IMG_0831.jpg

My sister-in-law Terri went to the city and reserved a shelter for us, and the weather was PERFECT on that Saturday. Since at least two of the people who were part of the Big "0" club were also people who usually cook at our barbecues, I decided I really wanted to find someone who would come cook for us this time. In Dallas, there are tons of people who do this - but I was having a hard time finding someone in Indy. Thankfully, my Unk came to the rescue. He knew the guy who owns JBirds Famous American Grill, and hooked us up. Unk also supplied all the meat for the festivities! So, in a very real way, the party would not have been as great without his help.

IMG_0832.jpg
Torchy, one of our honorees, and her two daughters, Heather and Mindy.

IMG_0839.jpg
LM in his birthday hat.

I probably would not have purchased birthday hats for the festivities, if it weren't for LM - he thinks this is an integral part of every birthday party! So, when I went to the party store, I decided to get enough for everyone. You'll see later that I have the best family in the world, because when asked to don said hats, they did.

IMG_0841.jpg
Terri brought this fruit tray. LM and Gibson cleaned out the grapes for us.

IMG_0843.jpg
There was lots of time to visit, since we weren't cooking.
And that was one of the goals of the gathering.

IMG_0847.jpg
Another honoree, even though his big "0" isn't for a few more months!

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0853.jpg


IMG_0852.jpg
IMG_0856.jpg
Ryon has almost passed up his dear ol' Grandpa.
Almost.

IMG_0861.jpg
Deacon's (a big "0" at 10) girlfriend came for a while. 
I was spying on them. Hee hee.

IMG_0868.jpg
Sweet Emmaline and Robin

IMG_0877.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

I can't recommend this guy who did all the cooking enough - he was great, reasonable, timely, generous, and the food was delicious! If any of my Indy friends want his info, please let me know!

IMG_0884.jpg
The playground got a workout.


I actually brought several games to play with the kids and the group. But the kids stayed entertained on the playground and surrounding area so well for the duration that we didn't play any of the games I brought!

IMG_0885.jpg

IMG_0895.jpg

IMG_0898.jpg

IMG_0903.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg

IMG_0927.jpg
There was a little badminton played.

IMG_0934.jpg
And Lori was so glad I took this photo.

IMG_0942.jpg

IMG_0944.jpg
I wanted to get an update of this photo.
Me and my brothers and dad.

IMG_0948.jpg
Here are all the Big "0's" 
and LM, who wouldn't leave. Ahem.

IMG_0951.jpg
Kylie, Heather and Craig

IMG_0955.jpg
Bob and Sherri brought the cake.
The Big "0's" with the cake.

IMG_0964.jpg
Blowing out the candles.
Which wouldn't stay lit, so we showed we can pretend.

IMG_0968.jpg
And, here is the whole bunch.
Party hats and all!

IMG_0976.jpg
LM was happy to supervise the cake being cut.

IMG_0986.jpg
Nathon really got into the party hat thing...

IMG_0988.jpg

IMG_0994.jpg

IMG_0997.jpg

IMG_0996.jpg

IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg
Bob and Dad (both Big "0's")

IMG_1000.jpg
Dad and Rick

IMG_1006.jpg
All the play the games got...

IMG_1008.jpg
Caught Bob being sweet.

IMG_1014.jpg
Dad and me.

IMG_9676.jpg
Dad and Steve - Dad grew!


It was pretty much just as I envisioned it. I don't know, but this sort of thing is exactly how I'd prefer to spend my birthday - maybe it's because that's pretty much how we did it when I was growing up for lots of years - we went to Grandma Irene's for the 4th of July, participated in all the small town revelry, all sorts of family was there, and sometime during the day we'd have some cake. Not really a birthday party, but a celebration with family. The very best kind of birthday celebration memories a girl could ask for.

I was glad to have pulled it off, and glad people seemed to have fun. Thanks to my family for going along with my crazy idea. Love you all to the moon and back.

See you soon.

1 comment:

  1. I cannot express enough how much I appreciate Amy following up on her idea about a year ago. We did have a great "Family" day. These are memories that will remain with us for the rest of our lives...thanks again Amy, I love you.

    Daddy

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!