Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Family Reunion

The main purpose of going to Indiana on the weekend we traveled a month ago was to attend a family reunion. This was for my mother's mother's side of the family. Their extended relatives - all descendants of three brothers who immigrated from Germany in the late 19th century - get together each year. But, this part of the tree doesn't regularly attend that gathering en masse. So, they decided to have a little get together of their own. These were the children and descendants of one of the three brothers - Conrad, my great-grandfather.

IMG_9478
Each of Conrad's children and their descendants wore a different color.
This was a fun way to quickly identify families.

IMG_9480
Uncle Kenny with Caleb and Gabe.
Aunt Dot's family wore yellow.

IMG_9483
White (Harold's family) and Green (Annabelle's family) families gather and greet.

Anyhoo, the weather decided to turn all "Texas" on us that weekend. Normally, the first weekend in June in Indy would have been just perfect. But, instead, it was in the 90's. HOT. Humid! Not the best weather to hang out at a park! But, the company was lovely. It was so nice to see some relatives I had not seen since I was a kid, and to meet some new relatives too!

IMG_9482

IMG_9486
Who is that in the photo?
Aunt Jeannie and family (purple) and members of Aunt Marge's family (orange)

My mom and my Aunt Sally did most of the heavy lifting for the shin-dig. They did a really nice job. There were family trees to check and update and LOTS and LOTS of old photos. They were so fun to look through. I only wish I would have had more time to do so. About the time we finished eating and I would have had time to do so, LM was ready to go.

IMG_9514

IMG_9516
We took a serious and funny shot of each family!

IMG_9534

IMG_9537

IMG_9546
Aunt Jean's family did the "funny" one first.

IMG_9555

IMG_9557
Elizabeth's family. I have lots of fond memories of hanging out with Aunt Betty's family!

IMG_9563
And this might be why... ;-)

IMG_9567
Dorothy's family. Of course, lots of memories here too.
With each photo comes more memories!

IMG_9571
And more silliness. Such fun!

IMG_9575

IMG_9578

IMG_9633
My family - Eva May's descendants.

IMG_9635
Closer to reality here.

It was fun to see the photos and hear the stories I did hear - see photos of my Nana and Aunt Dot as young people, hamming it up, having fun. Photos of my Nana on a date with a guy she dated for several years BEFORE she met my Paw Paw. Photos of her dad and mom as young married people with babies. Really cool.

IMG_9523

IMG_9527

IMG_9540

IMG_9582

IMG_9584

IMG_9587

IMG_9621

IMG_9624

I'm not sure when this crowd will get together again for a reunion, but we were glad we made this one.

IMG_9605
The oldest woman and youngest child.
Aunt Dot and Gibson!

Full Group Shot
The whole bunch.

See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!