Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Love One Another


I have attended two memorial services in the past two days. They were very different services - one was for a decorated businessman in the community who had lived a full, rewarding life with lots of family around him. It was obvious that he was a positive force in the lives of the people who knew him and had wonderful time here on earth. Business associates, family members and other prominent community members spoke on behalf of his life and his impact on not only Dallas but the nation. What was seen through their remarks was a portrait of a man with an unending positive outlook on life and that point of view had shaped his life and even his ability to overcome personal tragedy along the way. You felt at the end of it that it was a life well lived.

The second service was for a member of my graduate school class who committed suicide last week. He was obviously suffering from depression and it was a tragic event. He was only 36. The family and friends that gathered around talked about the "good times" and gave him a loving tribute into the next world. But, it was obviously a very different service from the first. It was evident the people at this second memorial were trying to come to terms with the suicide and what went wrong, how they could have helped, and what he was thinking. There are so many unanswered questions after someone takes their life in this way. Did he know all those people in that room cared for him and wishes he was still here? Would it have made a difference?

All this memorializing has me thinking about those things you think about at times like this. That life is short. That I'm a lucky girl with family and friends all around me and so much to be thankful for. That most of us are lucky in some way, if we think about it, and we all have much to be thankful for.

It made me want to just say to you - love one another. Take care of each other. Show concern and interest and take time for each other. I know this is stating the obvious, but it's so easy in this busy hustle and bustle world to get caught up in the things that don't matter. Pay attention to what matters. Because life is short and at the end you'll only care about what matters. And, the care and attention you gave to the things that matter - not money or material things or status or personal gain - but love, patience, thoughtfulness, family, friends, relationships. Being a good human on this earth to those around you and to the earth itself. Focus on the materially important things in this life and not the materials themselves. By saying these things to you, I remind myself to do them also.

I love you, family. I love you, friends. I love you, blog readers. And, I hope you know that. And I try every day to be a good human, and will keep on trying on that account. I will try to focus on the things that matter. Every day. Every single day.

God bless those who have gone before us into the communion of saints. God bless those of us still here on earth wrestling with our humanity. God bless us every one.

Be good. See you tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. I love you very much and I really enjoy your blog and look forward to reading it every day. I love the way you enjoy things that so many of us take for granted. Thanks for making me stop and smell the roses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bring up some good points which make me love you all the more. You are a very sensative young lady who see so much good in the world. I know your family has been a part of your seeing things the way you do and I hope that you can always keep that positive way of seeing the people and events in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you too sis! ;D

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!