Friday, November 13, 2009

At Home In Autumn

IMG_9320_edited-1 (by Ateupamateur)

We've covered that I love autumn. And I'm so thankful for the changing seasons. As the days get shorter and the nights cooler, I love being at home this time of year. Nestling in. Spending special time with family and friends. So, as I've been thinking over all that I am thankful for, I am thankful for my home. For the roof over my head and the actual structure that keeps me from the cold and the rain, but also for the feeling we all hope to find in that space.


IMG_9297_edited-1 (by Ateupamateur)

IMG_2838_edited-1 (by Ateupamateur)
I am also so very thankful for the living things in my home at different times - my family, friends and animals. There is a quote from the movie Garden State, when the characters are talking about going home, returning home as adults, and how it's not the same as an adult to return to the place where you grew up. And they agree, "Maybe that's all family really is. A group of people that miss the same imaginary place." I do think there is truth in that quote - that feeling of home that is conjured up in stories and memories and wonderful thoughts known in the collective memories of a family. And that is one of the most wonderful things about family. And that is certainly something to be thankful for.


IMG_9315_edited-1 (by Ateupamateur)

IMG_9228_edited-1 (by Ateupamateur)

But I also think home, especially this time of year, is a wonderful place - even if you are only imagining it into being - when you are able and comfortable to just "be" in your space - being yourself - alone, with your family and friends, with your dogs. And you're so happy to be in that space. That feels like home, too. Cuddly, warm, wonderful home. No matter where that home is, what that home looks like, what sorts of craziness from the world surrounds you. Wherever that feeling and place are, it is a fabulous, safe thing.

IMG_9316_edited-1 (by Ateupamateur)

IMG_9610_edited-1 (by Ateupamateur)

I read a small part of a poem recently in a book I've been reading. And that tiny part made me want to find the whole poem. It speaks to this idea of feeling home in the place where you can be, I think. It also speaks to the kinds of little things we forget to be thankful about. About how the past, present and future are so interwoven into who we are and how we respond to this world. Here it is - titled The Wild Geese by Wendell Berry:

Horseback on Sunday morning,
harvest over, we taste persimmon
and wild grape, sharp sweet
of summer's end. In time's maze
over the fall fields, we name names
that went west from here, names
that rest on graves. We open
a persimmon seed to find the tree
that stands in promise,
pale, in the seed's marrow.
Geese appear high over us,
pass, and the sky closes. Abandon,
as in love or sleep, holds
them to their way, clear,
in the ancient faith: what we need
is here. And we pray, not
for new earth or heaven, but to be
quiet in heart, and in eye
clear. What we need is here.

IMG_9311_edited-1 (by Ateupamateur)

So, there you go. That's what I'm thinking about on this Friday. And where my thanks is focused this morning. I am enjoying reading your thoughts on being thankful. For family, friends, health, good fortune, choices, furry friends, love, safety, home and more. It makes me more thankful, too. Best wishes for the weekend and for thinking about what you're thankful for. See you here next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!