Monday, November 9, 2009

Monday Musings

neighbor's sweet gum tree in Autumn 2009 (3) (by Ateupamateur)

1 - Here are some photos I took of the tree in our neighbor's yard on Friday morning. The sun was coming through the trees so beautifully. And the tree had dropped a good number of it's leaves into a splash of color on the lawn. I was on my way to the car to go into work and had my hands FULL of stuff. So I dropped it all on the pavement, dug out the purse camera and took a few shots.


neighbor's sweet gum tree in Autumn 2009 (2) (by Ateupamateur)

If only that car wasn't parked in the street. Which reminds me of a story about when we moved into the neighborhood. Our house was previously inhabited, for years and years, by a woman named Marge who recently moved to a nursing home. Among other things, she had been Tom Landry's secretary for many, many years. The house was, sadly for her, in a state of disarray, but there were glimpses of a time when she must have decorated it to the nines and kept a beautiful home.

Anyway, one of our new neighbors, God rest his soul as he's passed on since then, came down to introduce himself. John had two very important things to tell us. First, we were to take note that everyone in the neighborhood LOVED Marge's azaleas. And second, people don't park on the street here.


neighbor's sweet gum tree in autum 2009 (1) (by Ateupamateur)

Apparently, that neighbor did not receive John's memo. Someone needs to take up the fight now that he's gone to keep cars off the streets. John would love nothing less.

Furthermore, with regard to that story - the azaleas John spoke of ran the length of the front of the home, and were very old, woody, non-leaf-bearing dinosaurs of what I am sure once were once a whole lot of beautiful pink azaleas. The first thing we did was dig those suckers up. Yep, we did. So, you know, we try not to park on the street. In order to have some cred here in the hood.


neighbor's sweet gum tree in autum 2009 (by Ateupamateur)

Back to Friday morning - I took these photos, which are nice, but don't really capture the beautiful, lovely, wonderful light coming through onto the gorgeous leaves in the way I saw it in person. Oh well. After I took the photos, I gathered up my things and was getting ready to drive away, but I couldn't locate my cell phone. I decided to go check to make sure it wasn't still in the driveway...and it was. Had I not that split second thought of it, I would have driven right over it. Whew. That would not have been a good start to the Friday. Double whew.


IMG_3253 (by Ateupamateur)

2 - remember that white fluffy bush I showed you last week? Well, my dad's wife's daughter Mindy works at the Indianapolis Museum of Art, which happens to sit on some grounds that are kept up by a horticulture staff. She asked me if I wanted her to find out what it was, and I said, sure! So, Mindy very thoughtfully forwarded the photos to her horticultural colleague Irvin to see what he knew about those bushes. Irvin replied in this way:

Mindy, I contacted my friend Jimmy at the Dallas Arboretum and he had the answer - Consumption Weed. Below is a link that describes it and that might be a site for more help. His place would be a good source of info for your step-sister, especially if she is close enough to visit. If not, all the contact info is in his reply so she could visit the arboretum via the web.
Have a good weekend.
Irvin
And, then, Irvin forwarded Jimmy's message to him:
Baccharis

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/ornamentals/nativeshrubs/baccharishalim.htm

Consumption Weed as we call it.

Purdy though...

Jimmy Turner
Senior Director of Gardens
Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden

There are several things that made me laugh about this exchange. First, that it IS INDEED named a WEED. Of course. Of course. The only saving grace here is it seems people do plant them ornamentally, so it isn't always seen to act as a weed.

IMG_3259 (by Ateupamateur)

Second, that Irvin suggests the Dallas Arboretum might be a good resource for me, and that Jimmy provided the answer. I don't know Jimmy, but I get emails from him all the time because the Dallas Arboretum sends them out to people who have signed up for their email list. Which I am one. And, um, the Dallas Arboretum is within, if not walking, certainly BIKING distance of my home. No need to even use gasoline! Yeah, um, why didn't I think of that? Heh heh. That is a good site Jimmy pointed us to, though, isn't it? Also in Texas, via Indiana. Go figure. I've bookmarked that bad boy for future reference. Thanks Mindy, for getting me straightened out on that one. Ahem.


IMG_9209 (by Ateupamateur)

3 - I am thankful for those of you who told me what you're thankful for. I know some of you really need time to mull things like that over.

Time's up. Come on. Spill it. Tell us. It's not that hard. Let er' rip.

I am especially thankful today for my Unk, and am thinking of him as he undergoes another little procedure on his heart. Don't think that I haven't noticed that a hospital stay and a "heart condition" might all be ruse to go on a special diet under the supervised care of a physician, all to win our bet. No, I kid - he's really getting something checked out today, and he's on my mind. And, I'm thankful for him in so many ways, and also for the fact I have a mind he can be on.

Also on my mind today - our good friend John, who is still fighting chronic rejection with those beautiful lungs. He's back in hospital and on some oxygen. Please pray the doctors find a new and right path very soon. I am thankful for the doctors who are caring for him and for the prayers and thoughts surrounding his family. I hope they feel the presence of all of our good wishes and that somehow that helps.


IMG_3289 (by Ateupamateur)

4 - We went to SMU Homecoming as planned. I'll give you a full report later this week once I get through the photos.


IMG_2944 (by Ateupamateur)
This has nothing to do with dieting. I just like it.

5 - I stayed on the diet pretty well all week last week. One night I had half of a roll. Not allowed on the diet. Friday night, I met some former work colleagues for Happy Hour and I had a margarita. Not on the diet. But, I took a diet bar to the football game and had that at the game instead of concession food, so that counts for something, no? I weigh in again tomorrow morning...the scales will be the final judge. Ugh.


IMG_2848 (by Ateupamateur)

6 - I don't think I have a 6 except to tell you I hope you have a wonderful week, and I'll see you tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. More on "weeds". It is basically a plant existing in a place you don't want it to be. The definition from Wikipedia.

    "A weed in a general sense is a plant that is considered by the user of the term to be a nuisance, and normally applied to unwanted plants in human-made settings such as gardens, lawns or agricultural areas, but also in parks, woods and other natural areas. More specifically, the term is often used to describe native or nonnative plants that grow and reproduce aggressively. Generally, a weed is a plant in an undesired place."

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!