Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Homecoming Recap

S and I, as previously reported, took in the Homecoming festivities. And, we saw a few people we had not seen in a while. Which, of course, is always fun. But, the more interesting part was this supposed controversy over the mascot - or mascots, I guess. This part was entertaining.


IMG_3270 (by Ateupamateur)
First, though, tailgate with friends.

Oh - and the weigh-in update - last week I lost another 4.4 pounds to take the grand total to date to 12 pounds. Keep 'em comin'. OK, back to the tailgate!


IMG_3279 (by Ateupamateur)
Dave was up from Houston with his friend Erica.


IMG_3273 (by Ateupamateur)

IMG_3275 (by Ateupamateur)
Tricia and Jennifer mugged for the camera.

IMG_3277 (by Ateupamateur)
And so did Jennifer's sweet girl.


IMG_3283 (by Ateupamateur)
JG was again the consummate host.


IMG_3288 (by Ateupamateur)
Then the parade to the stadium began.


IMG_3300 (by Ateupamateur)
And look who we saw! Bob Brandenberger -
the Mustang Band director when we were in school.

IMG_3319 (by Ateupamateur)
SMU played - and beat - Rice.
That's their Owl.

We played Rice for Homecoming my freshman year too. We lost miserably that year. In fact, I didn't see the Mustangs win a game until my sophomore year. They did win one, but it was an away game against Tulane. So I didn't see it. I've seen my share of really bad football, that's for certain.

IMG_3312 (by Ateupamateur)
Pregame was good.

IMG_5506 (by Ateupamateur)

IMG_3324 (by Ateupamateur)
Bob-O conducted Varsity which was a nice Homecoming touch.


IMG_3335 (by Ateupamateur)
OK - here is the controversy.
These mustangs - they did nothing but sit at that end of the stadium.
Silly.

Someone with a lot of money gave these two Mustangs to the school as mascots. Many people feel this is June Jones' doing, as in Hawaii, they were called the Rainbows. Then the Rainbow Warriors. Then the Warriors...apparently June has Napoleon complex or something.


IMG_3364 (by Ateupamateur)

Because he doesn't like the mascot the school has had for more than 50 years - Peruna - a Shetland pony. The mascot is the Mustang, but the mascot is Peruna. And, I have to say, I am a fan of Peruna. And I don't think the size of the horse has anything to do with winning or losing football games. I mean, when they were paying players in the 80's, Peruna did the trick.

I didn't know much about this before we came to the game, and I know lots of people feel very strongly about this issue. But, after observing the situation cold turkey, I do have to say those Mustangs look a bit too much like a Red Raider Masked Rider. And I'm not sure size matters in this instance. And I hope they keep the little horse.


IMG_3336 (by Ateupamateur)
Of course, there is also THIS Mustang...
...that is a whole nother story.


IMG_3354 (by Ateupamateur)
There was actually a football game where SMU won.
They are now 5-4, which is rather remarkable.


IMG_3357 (by Ateupamateur)
Two wins were with this guy as quarterback.
I think I like this guy better than the other one.
But I know nothing about football.


IMG_3389 (by Ateupamateur)
At the start of halftime, Gary Cogill, of all people, interviewed June.


IMG_3392 (by Ateupamateur)
Then the Rice Band took the field.
Yes, that is a marching cello.


IMG_3394 (by Ateupamateur)
Marching everythings...


IMG_3395 (by Ateupamateur)
...they are nutty...

IMG_3399 (by Ateupamateur)
...but entertaining!


IMG_3400 (by Ateupamateur)
Then the SMU Band took the field with the Alumni Band.


IMG_3414 (by Ateupamateur)
The old and the young.
Or the young and the restless...

IMG_3402 (by Ateupamateur)
But, seriously, look at the bass drum player.
Whoa. Memories.

So, there you go. The recap. Good to see old friends. Wonderful weather. The home team won, which is a different sort of Homecoming right there. Nice Saturday.

Happy Tuesday. See you tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Gary Cogill and June Jones went to high school together. That's why Gary is around so much.

    Jon

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!