Thursday, November 19, 2009

Mutton Bustin'

As I mentioned on Monday, S and I attended the Texas Stampede last weekend. There were many rodeo events. But, above and beyond, my favorite event is Mutton Bustin'. It cracks me up every time. The kids on the sheep, hanging on for dear life. No one gets hurt, everyone laughs.


IMG_4000 (by Ateupamateur)
These are the sheep, with their funny coats.

If you've never experienced mutton bustin', you haven't lived. First, they shear the sheep on the back, but leave some wool up front for the kids to hang on to.


IMG_3981 (by Ateupamateur)
Then you collect a bunch of cute kids and put helmets on them.

And something that looks like a cross between a life jacket and a bullet proof vest. Whatever that is. Look at the budding Mr. Nixon in the middle. Awwww. And the cute widdle chaps. Awwww.


IMG_3989 (by Ateupamateur)
Then this usually happens - they slump to one side and try to stay on.


IMG_3993 (by Ateupamateur)
This kid, after falling off, decided to make "dirt angels."
I think he has a future in televangelism.


IMG_3995 (by Ateupamateur)
This kid did pretty good.

IMG_3999 (by Ateupamateur)
And he knew it. High fives all around.

IMG_4002 (by Ateupamateur)
It just cracks me up.
I'm warped like that. I know. I'm good with it.

IMG_4006 (by Ateupamateur)
Here's another celebratory hoorah.

But, here's the big moment for you - I caught one of the real riders on video. It's short, but they made it all the way across the playing field, so to speak. And you'll hear my crazy voice going "yeaaahhhhh" and "whooo-hooo". Nice. Very nice. You know I love ya if I'm posting this. Have a look:


Well, I think that says it all, don't you?

I'm coo-coo for mutton bustin'. Fo sho. And, no I had not consumed any alcohol. I was high on life, my friends, because muttons were bustin' out all over.


IMG_4011 (by Ateupamateur)
At the end there was a trophy ceremony.


IMG_4015 (by Ateupamateur)
But this boy was none too pleased.

He won the competition, but had to KISS the pretty girl to get his trophy. That pretty girl is Miss Rodeo or something. At his age, girls still have cooties. In case you were wondering.


IMG_4016 (by Ateupamateur)
There were some more awkward moments while the crowd remained hushed.


IMG_4017 (by Ateupamateur)
Then he did it.

I missed the actual peck, but you can tell from the lady's reaction in the back that the deed was done. Amen to that. He's still washing his lips extra good to this day.


IMG_4019 (by Ateupamateur)
But he got the trophy, dag nabbit.

And everyone's really a winner because hoo-wee, it's a good laugh. Such fun. My favorite part of a rodeo. Hope you enjoyed it too!

Happy Thursday. See you tomorrow with another RECIPE from someone else's kitchen!

2 comments:

  1. OMG, so cute! love the sheep, kids, and the bashful kisser.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that for the first time last year, and I had tears streaming down my face. As a parent of an almost 4-year old, I just can't imagine strapping my kid on a sheep, but it's funny when other people do it. :-)

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!