Friday, October 14, 2011

Friday Five - Stale RevGals Edition

These came out a week or two ago. But, you're used to me being behind. These Friday Five questions come from the Rev Gal Blog Pals. They have some different yet insightful questions from time to time. My friend Towanda answers them eloquently and with some regularity. So today I'll take a go at the stale Friday questions.

yellow leaves copy
Indiana autumn leaves - something that reminds me of home.

So here are five questions about home.

1) Where was your first home?
My first home was with my parents in Indianapolis. I lived there until I was four. I remember this home - there were a set of grandparent-ly neighbors that doted on me. There was a room with red and white striped wallpaper that was my and then my brother's nursery. For some reason, I remember that room better than the room I moved into. I remember our dog Sampson that lived there with us for a while. I remember my parent's room was off the living room and our bedrooms were back closer to the kitchen. Also there was a basement where you would do laundry. Generally, when I think about this place, it is a happy memory.

birch tree copy 

2) Do you ever dream about places you used to live?
Yes, certainly. Sometimes the dream will take place in a room or place where I've lived in the past. And usually there are people in the room or place that are incongruous to the location. You know, how dreams normally are. Right at this exact moment, I cannot come up with a specific dream to tell you about. 

Nana collage
Nana, young and how I remember her. 

3) If you could bring back one person from your past to sit at your dinner table, who would you choose?
I don't know! Probably one of my grandparents. Maybe my Nana, before she had Alzheimers. That would be really cool.

4) What's your favorite room in your current living space?
We had this one on a recent Friday Five. My kitchen. I love it. 

macaroni collage
Macaroni and Cheese! 

5) Is there an object or an item where you live now that represents home? If not, can you think of one from your childhood?
This is a funny question, because I was thinking the other day that certain foods remind me of home. I'm sure this is no big surprise to anyone who knows me. The one that came to mind the other day was, of all things, Musselman's applesauce. They don't carry it at the grocery store where I normally shop. But, I was shopping at a different place a few weeks ago and bought some. When I tasted it, I was home. It reminded me of that somewhat imaginary place we all remember. I say imaginary because it doesn't really exist in a place for all of us. It's more of a feeling you get that makes you feel safe and loved, I think. My mom's cooking will do that for me too - meatloaf, macaroni and cheese, a casserole we call Roman Holiday. Sometimes just talking to my mom or dad will make me feel at home. Or seeing a photo or hearing a song. I'm not sure I can think of a thing, though. But I guess these are all things, too. What makes you feel at home or what represents home for you?

OK, so there you have it. We made it through another Friday Five. I hope your Friday is wonderful!

See you soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!