Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Simple Gifts


As we all know, the economy is horrible. And, the holiday season is upon us. Black Friday, however black it may or may not have been, is behind us, as is Cyber Monday, and some of us still have presents to forage.

I think it's important to remember that simple gifts - gifts that give a little of yourself and aren't fussy or expensive or overly commercialized - are often the most cherished. And, they often cost little to nothing monetarily.

Even Oprah is on this band wagon this year. Her annual "Oprah's Favorite Things" show was instead all about how to have a thrifty, meaningful Christmas. It got me thinking, some of my favorite holiday memories and gifts given to me have been just this sort of thing.



A few years ago, my brother Steve's family gave me this photo tower. It is one of my most favorite gifts ever - just pictures of his kids in all kinds of different settings. I love it. I've thought about updating it several times to new photos, but then I think, no I like it just the way it is.




When I was in Indiana in August, Steve gave me and others the gift of his guitar playing. He's really getting talented on that thing, and shared his talents with the rest of us. I appreciated hearing this gift very much.


Will someone please warn me when I'm doing this silly grin?
Good God!

Over the years, people have given me photos, baked goods, books they picked out especially for me, re-gifts that fit me better than they fit the recipient, dinners, crafts, tickets to shows, events where we did something together, and many more things that were special to me, especially for me. And, many of them didn't cost much at all. And, the memory of receiving such special, simple gifts lasts much longer than the gift giving itself.





I'm sure you can think of times you've received meaningful gifts - meaningful because they were coming from a special person or were given in such a character of thoughtfulness that you remember the occasion with fondness. I'm trying to think of ways I can do this sort of giving this Christmas season. Simple gifts are often the very best.

2 comments:

  1. If you look at my face in that picture, I seem to be saying, "Uh, Amy, you're doing the silly grin again. You know how that embarasses me. Please stop."
    -Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, so I was warned. And I still missed it. Nice.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!