Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Chandelier

Cologne was one of my favorite cities on the trip. I can't really put my finger on why. I just liked it there. I will have some posts soon of the amazing Cologne Cathedral and some of the other sites we saw while we were there. But today, I've got photos of the underside of a chandelier that was hanging in a coffee house in Cologne.




This night, our night in Cologne, we had walked over to just past the cathedral to try to go to a traditional beer hall called Frueh. (the U should have an umlaut, and then then "e" would be gone) But, the International Dental Convention was in town, and there was not a seat to be had.




So we wandered down a block to a place called the "Chicago Steak House." We ate a pretty good meal there, and then decided to go to a coffee house for some coffee and dessert.

I should mention I ordered the "California" salad with the "American" dressing. Let's just say the "American" dressing was about as close to something I've had in America as "French" dressing served in the US is close to anything in France. But, it was on a pile of fresh vegetables, which is sometimes hard to find in European restaurants, so I ate it. All of it. I was hungry. But, then, after the salad and a good steak, we went to the coffee house.



We found this one, just on the other side of the beer hall, almost in the shadow of the cathedral. We took a seat, ordered some coffee and ice cream, and then I leaned back in my seat and looked up to see this very pretty chandelier.



As you can see, I was quite taken by it. And to be quite honest, when I flip through my photos from the trip, the set of these photos of the chandelier are some of my favorite. I just like them.




So, the moral of the story is, I guess, don't forget to look straight up - you might really see something you like.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! You will soon be published. Who knows where your photos will be seen next.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I am considered one of the "13", since I tend to wait long periods of time between visits to the internet. I did enjoy seeing your pictures and am flattered that I got recognition for taking a picture. I think your blog is a beautiful thing and it is a reflection of the sweet and sensitive person you are.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!