Friday, April 3, 2009

Something for this Happy Friday

I am starting through all these photos I took. I take way too many photos - a malady of the digital age. And, I am still jet lagged a bit. I went to bed around 9 last night, feeling totally drugged by the time I made it there. I feel pretty good this morning, but woke bright and early. Which could be a good thing. I get so much done when I wake bright and early!

So, I am still not really prepared to give you a lot of detail about the trip, sadly. I will have the weekend to recoup and see you here next week with all sorts of interesting tidbits that I'll make up since my life just isn't that interesting. But, for today, I thought a good post would be to 1) wish you a Happy Friday and 2) show you the first photos we took on the trip. The beginning is a very good place to start.


This one is a little blurry, but shows the Heathrow sign.


We landed at Heathrow airport terminal 5 on a Friday morning. Once we made it through customs, I had an appointment at the airport, near terminal 4 we needed to get on to. So, we found the Heathrow Express train system to take us there. This, as it turns out, was not the fastest way to go. But, live and learn. And, take pictures!



So, when we got there, we read the arrival/departure sign (above) and waited for the train to terminal 4.


If you're a world traveler or even a reader of the business news, you know that when British Airways decided to build Terminal 5 at Heathrow, it was to be the answer to all the airport's woes. As it turns out, it made them worse. They have done a lot of work to fix the problems, but here is one not really fixed or fixable - to get to terminal 4 from terminal 5 via the train, you have to go to terminals 1, 2 or 3 and then take another train to terminal 4. It wastes at least 30 minutes of your time if this is your route.



Look, there's the train entering the underground platform!
Is it ours?


Um, no, I don't think so.


My favorite of the bunch that I shared with you previously.
I slowed the ISO down to get more blur.

.This train, the Heathrow Express, did not stop either.



So we waited for the next one.

Best wishes for a happy weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Curious, is bright and early before or at the crack of dawn?

    Enjoying the start of the trip pics and looking forward to the rest. Also very happy you are home safe.

    love,
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,

    I absolutely LOVE the first picture with the train in it! It looks so surreal!

    Also, the new picture at top with the sunset is incredible! :)

    I love visiting your blog!

    -Michael

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!