Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Train! The Train!

When I was a little girl (and when my mom was a little girl before that...) people in Indianapolis would go downtown to the LS Ayres department store, where the children would ride a train to see Santa. LS Ayres was bought by someone, and then by someone else, and is no longer around. But, the train set was given (bought?) to the Indiana State Museum.  And, was replaced by a similar but slightly larger train in 2006. When Veda and Deacon were small, we took them to ride the train. Now that I have LM, we all set out to do it again.

IMG_4259
They have the original train set up in the lobby where you can take photos near it.
There is no way an adult would have fit on the old train.

IMG_4266
Up the elevator!

IMG_4270
A view of the 2nd floor from the 3rd floor.

IMG_4275
On the way to the train - of course, a corn exhibit.

IMG_4279
Gibby says, "I don't see a future in corn."

IMG_4286
Ah, the big kids are too cute as well. 
Deacon loves him some corn, though. Something FIERCE!

IMG_4288
Waiting our turn for the train.

IMG_4314

The Santa line and the train line are two different lines at the museum. I don't remember this being the case as a kid, but who knows. We did not visit the Santa line. All the kids had already seen Santa, the Santa they had didn't look all that good of a Santa elf and you had to pay to get a photo - none of your own photos allowed! Boo. So, we just did the train, which was way more fun anyway. 

IMG_4290

IMG_4295
Ohmygoodnessheisadorable.

IMG_4311
That over there..that is Santa's house. 
The Santa police might come arrest me for taking this photo...

IMG_4312
The train rounded the bend...it was almost time.

IMG_4316
OK, so everyone got loaded up in the cars.
You can see, even with the larger train that adults were "oversized."

IMG_4319

IMG_4320
1 - S volunteered to ride. 2 - he isn't wearing a reindeer hat.

IMG_4323
Darn that Gibby - I couldn't catch him.
Maybe Nana caught him with her camera.

IMG_4376

After everyone was loaded up, they went over the rules. One of the rules was to keep your hands inside the train, and to NOT touch any scenery. Ahem. Well, apparently one young lad at back of the train BROKE THAT RULE. So, the conductor stopped the train without further ado and KICKED HIM OFF. Follow the rules at the Christmas train, people, or OFF with your head. 

IMG_4384
Halfway through the train stopped on the back side.

When the train stopped, Santa's friend, Raggedy Ann, gave all the kids a snowflake. I know, strange. Just go with it.

IMG_4371
I had trouble getting a good shot, obviously.
I should have turned on the flash.

IMG_4395
Some came out okay.

IMG_4403
After the train we took some photos at the sleigh.
Then we walked around some of the other levels.

IMG_4412

IMG_4425
Miss Cora

IMG_4420
LM was intent on coloring.

IMG_4422

IMG_4426
We wrote Santa letters via this email portal that went straight to the North Pole.

IMG_4428

IMG_4431

IMG_4441
Deacon, Terri and Gibson went down a level first.
Deacon was hamming this point up in the photo.

IMG_4443
Here, Cora and Nana were looking over the rail at them.

IMG_4446
This was sort of cool, and appropriate for a state museum, I suppose.

IMG_4452
There is also a replica diorama of the downtown Ayres store at Christmas
This angel and clock can still be found downtown...

IMG_4456
Toward the end, a group shot.
We had fun, really. No, REALLY, we had fun!
And, that Santa hat behind Deacon is Veda, hiding, I guess.

IMG_4459
LM was nearing the end of his rope.

IMG_4465
And on the way out...a shot of Nana with the kiddos...
...and the train she and I (and Veda and Deacon, actually) rode on as kids.
Cora was at the end of her rope...

When I was back at my mom's house, I looked in the photo albums for a picture of me at the trains, because in my memory, they exist. I could not find them. I wonder if it is 8mm film...not sure, but they were not found, or of course, I would put them in this post!

I have to say, the nut that I am, taking my son to ride these trains was a real highlight for me. It was very cool to be able to do that with him. Maybe we'll do it again a few years from now.

See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!