Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Trees

I love trees. I love being outdoors. Unless it's 100 degrees. I have a long love affair with photographing trees. Some of my favorite tree photos are "pre-digital" and I don't have them scanned in to show you here. I'll get on that though and post them sometime in the future. But, for now, here are some of my digital favorites.


This was taken last April at Muir Woods in California. It is looking up at a grove of old growth redwood trees.


This is a close-up of old growth redwood bark.


Aspens near Independence Pass, Colorado, taken July 2006.

I went to this very spot, because I purchased a photo taken by a local Colorado photographer when I was in Colorado the year before. His photo was of this place in the spring of the year. I've never been there in spring, but I love that photo. I wanted to see if I could find the exact spot he stood in and take a photo of my own in summer. I actually think I found his spot, but perhaps there are several spots along the pass like this. Nonetheless, I love the photo I got as well. I have a large black and white version of it in my living room.


I even like dead trees, like these, damaged in the 1988 fire in Yellowstone. (photo in 2006)

Forest fires used to be contained and doused immediately in National Parks, but newer studies in the field of ecology point to the fact that fires are a natural part of the ecological cycle. Therefore, while the fires are watched so they do not get out of hand, they are allowed to burn at times because that is what naturalists see as the best thing for the ecosystem. You can see in the photo above that new growth has already returned to the area since the fires wiped the slate clean 20 (or 18 when the photo was taken) years ago. You can read more about this from someone who knows what they are talking about by following that link above.

I took dozens of photos of these trees with the moon as the sun was going down one night. It was a beautiful thing - a fascinating place to be and sort of eerie - but really, none of the photos captured the moment as it was. That being said, this is a cool shot nonetheless that I enjoy looking at once in a while.

Trees can also set the mood. Like the "dead trees and the moon" seem eerie, these photos of trees say other things to the viewer. It often tells you the season, too.


Taken April 2008 just past the entrance to the grounds of the California Veteran's Home.

To me, this driving path welcomes you in. It gives one the feeling that this place where they've arrived is hospitable, and a nice place to be. It also calms the soul with its beauty.


Alia, Sicily (Italy) March 2008

This is one of my favorite photographs from our entire trip to Sicily. I took over 1000 photos and I'm sure more of them will show up here one day. This was taken through a playground, late in the day, overlooking the hills surrounding the city. Doesn't it look like a cool, peaceful tree grove? When I look at this photo, I want to be there.


An autumn day in Dallas, TX, November 2007


Moon over White Rock Lake, December 2007



And, probably my most favorite tree shot of all is to get right next to its trunk and shoot up.

May 2008 on the grounds of my mother's church.


April 2008 on the grounds of the aforementioned California Veteran's Home


April 2008 under an old growth redwood


March 2008 under a palm tree in Corleone, Sicily (Italy)


November 2008 under a beautiful Dallas tree


And, the red oak tree in my front yard, October 2006.
(Editor's note - for some reason, Blogger will only upload this image sideways...it should be oriented like the others, but it clearly isn't.)

Now, go out and enjoy a tree!

1 comment:

  1. Those are so cool. I'll have to go out and take a picture of our pitiful little trees in our front yard. They are about as big around as my arm. And then you can laugh at them. I do love going to the park and taking pictures of my girls walking down the path with big trees hanging over.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!