Monday, February 16, 2009

Trying to Strum it Out

Me with the new guitar, Christmas 2005


I started taking guitar lessons after the first of the year. I figured it was about time for me to share with you what I've been up to in that regard.

I received this lovely guitar three years ago, Christmas, when my fabulous husband S bought it for me. It was one of the best presents I think I've ever received, because he bought me something I really wanted without me overtly asking for it. I know, men, you find this completely unnerving and ridiculous, but we women like the thoughtful gifts you come up with when we don't ask.


Another one of me, 3 years ago.


I wanted a guitar because I felt there was something wrong with the fact that I have a music degree and don't know how to play one - the quintessential American instrument. My grandmother played one. My brother Steve, of course, plays one. And, I love folk music, especially American Roots music, so it's one of those things on my list of things to learn.



The guitar in it's case.


Anyway, I tried to teach myself off and on, but it wasn't working. So, I set out to find a teacher about six months ago, and had some issues finding one I felt would work. But, I now I have, and he comes to my house and teaches me guitar for 45 minutes every Monday night. Today is guitar lesson day!


The guitar's neck.


The front of the guitar.


I practice almost every day, and I'm really enjoying it. And, I think I'm doing OK, because my teacher keeps piling on the new stuff. I hope to get S to take some photos of us during a lesson sometime, you know, if my teacher isn't in the witness protection program or anything, so you can experience my lesson with me. Won't that be a snore!




The guitar S bought is not just any guitar - it's a Martin - a classic brand of guitar made in the USA. This is a characteristic S has that can sometimes be annoying - he doesn't do anything halfway. In college, I mentioned wanting a fish - I was thinking a goldfish in a bowl. I got a 10 gallon aquarium as a present. Actually, his "over-doing" got me started with my photography hobby - I asked for a camera for my birthday and he went out and bought me an SLR. I had to learn to use it since he paid all that money, and a hobby was begun. To him bigger and more expensive is almost always better.





So, of course, when he bought a guitar - he didn't get the one at Target - you know - let's see how this goes and then maybe get a nicer one later is not his cup of tea. Nope, he went out and got a Martin. Now, it's a "starter" Martin, for sure - not one of their really fancy models. But, it's still a really nice instrument. It makes a nice sound - has a mellow tone - and has great action on the strings. All the more reason for me, after three years, to get on learning how to play it.

My book. And my tuner, too - oh, and there's a pick there as well, on my music stand.


I'll keep you updated on my progress with the guitar - once I know how to play an actual song, maybe I'll post a video - woo hoo. Maybe S can Heely while I play. Now, THAT would be worth watching!


The guitar on it's stand before my lesson.


Happy President's Day to those of you with a holiday. No holiday for me. See you tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amy,
    I just wanted to tell you that I love the picture of the guitar in front of the curtains. It's beautiful. Of course, I always love a good picture of any string instrument. I've tried taking some myself and just think the wood can be so beautiful when photographed.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!