Thursday, September 24, 2009

Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas

Let me say I have no idea how the type color got so messed up for this post - I apologize and hope to have it fixed tomorrow.

When I was in Indiana, one night I made some enchiladas at Steve and Terri's house. This is a concoction all my own, although not unlike lots of other recipes out there.


Here is the recipe:

2 rotisserie chickens
1 box of Velveeta
2 cans Ro-tel
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 onion
2 tablespoons olive oil
8 oz sour cream

12 large flour tortillas (you could use soft corn tortillas if you prefer)


Strip the rotisserie chickens of all their meat, hand shred and set aside.
Or, if your mom is there, have her do this part.



Dice onion and brown in a skillet in the olive oil.



This is a slab of Velveeta. I understand it is not a color or substance found in nature. I get that. And, generally, I'm all for natural foods. But, sister, Velveeta is great in Mexican dishes because it melts easily and doesn't grease up like "real" cheese does. So, I used it for this recipe. If you can't bring yourself to use Velveeta, use something else. Knock yourself out. Just don't say I didn't warn ya.

Now I know you're shakin' in your boots, aren't ya.


Chop up Velveeta into a microwave bowl larger than it needs to be and melt in microwave.



To that bowl, add browned onions, 2 cans Ro-tel, and cream of chicken soup and mix well. Heat mixture again in the microwave to make it easy to work with and well mixed, but not too hot to touch.



Spray or grease a 9x13 pan.
Lightly fill the bottom of the pan with some of the cheese mixture.


Tortillas were ridiculously priced in Indiana compared to Dallas prices.


Dip, one at a time, the flour tortillas into the cheese mixture,
then fill with some chicken, roll up and place in 9x13 pan.




Repeat, pushing the enchiladas together as close as possible as you insert them into the pan.
When the pan is full, top the enchiladas with remaining chicken and cheese mixture.


Then, top with sour cream.


Bake at 375 for about 30 minutes. The point here is just to get it all to brown up a little and warm – so when that happens, they are done.


INSERT FINISHED PHOTO HERE.

Except I didn't take a "finished" photo. Nope. Everyone was so eager to eat (it was a little past normal dinner hour) that I just planted it on the table and we started eating. I never even thought to take a photo until we were boxing up the leftovers. So picture a photo like the one above, just more brown and bubbly. And hot.


Or picture this, only a whole pan of it, and not cold. Ahem.

It really was good. And it makes a lot.
Steve took it to work for a couple of days.

So there you go. Some cheesy chicken enchiladas. Made with fake cheese and rotisserie chicken. That's just how I roll sometimes people. Go with it. I will say, that every time I make these, people want the recipe. So they can't be that bad, if you know what I mean. And I know you do. Amen to that.

Since this is an "original" recipe, I will post it on Tasty Kitchen sometime soon.

Best wishes for your Thursday! See you tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, it was good. That night, then the next day, and the next day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I'm tryin' it, sister!!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I'm not surprised you didn't get that "finished" photo. Just surprised you got one at all. Looks great. I can almost taste it.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!