Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Colorado Mountains

First, a little update for you on S. He's still sick - he was hospitalized on Monday. He has tests scheduled today that should tell us conclusively what he's got. They've ruled out everything else. So, I'll keep you posted, and we're working to get him well.

Also, in the wee hours of the morning yesterday, my friend Kellie had her little boy. We covered her shower here on Ate Up Amateur. She lives in another town, so there will be no hospital shots here. I know this is sad for some and just gut-renchingly (spellchecker thinks I should change that made up word to "unflinchingly". Poh-tay-to Poh-tah-to.) heartbreaking for others. Nonetheless, I want to say CONGRATULATIONS to them, and that I hope to see photos of the little one VERY SOON!

OK, now on to today's post.



Today, I've collected a few photos from the summer of 2005 Colorado trip that highlight the mountains. That photo above is of S, of course, on top of a mountain in Vail, where the ski slopes are clearly marked, even when there is no snow. And, of course, when S was feeling more himself.




This photo and the one below are also of the mountains in Vail, near dusk, on a slightly cloudy day. It was so green that summer - besides those "hills" being too big to be Ireland, I think they look like they could have been shot across the pond. It was fairly cool up there, even in July.







This photo is of the mountains outside of Leadville, CO on my way to that little town, where I shot that Manhattan Bar sign I shared with you on Monday. I liked the juxtaposition of the native grasses/ground cover with the still snow-capped mountains in the distance and the active, beautiful clouds in the sky. It was a wonderful day for a drive.





And this last one - again, one of my favorites of all time, was taken just outside the Ford Amphitheater in Vail, CO. It's actually along the walkway to the parking lot - a fairly pedantic place for such a wonderful view. I like the fence in the photo - it moves the eye through to the other side. And, I was able to get a lot of Colorado scenery in this one - again, the beautiful sky and clouds, an evergreen or two, native grasses and wildflowers, and off in the distance, those famous mountains. Hope you like it too. I actually found the fence to be such a wonderful help to this photo that I've tried to re-create the effect in photos I've taken in locations all over the globe. Maybe I'll do a "fence post" one day. Pun intended.

Tomorrow, if I can keep my act together, I'll finish out the 2005 photo montage with a collection of my favorite "water" photos from that summer. See you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!