Friday, October 9, 2009

State Fair Marines


On Tuesday, I went to the Great State Fair of Texas again with my co-workers on a team building day. We saw the photo, ate fried food and took in the US Marine Drum and Bugle Corps concert. It was the concert that garnered the most photos from me this go around, so I thought I'd share them with you on this Friday morning.


Before the concert, the Director, Chief Warrant Officer 4, Brian Dix, spoke to the crowd.


Then the corps marched in...

And they started with a rousing rendition of the Star Spangled Banner.
And the crowd sang along heartily. It was great.


They gave a wonderful concert...


Standards, classics, contemporary songs.

I have to stop and tell you about the cymbal players...you know, I swung some cymbals around during my college band days, and I get it - I know - they are big flashy pieces of metal, and they are meant to be spun, twirled, etc. Shown off. But, people, this band is stoic. Completely without expression throughout the performance. Except for the cymbal players. They were swinging and flashing like the very best DCI corps. This stood out while we watched them. They were IN TO IT, let me tell you. Which, forgive me, led me to say to my colleague, "Cymbal line brought to you by the policy 'don't ask, don't tell'." Ahem.

Because, sister, there ain't no way those cymbals would have looked so go without it. Seriously folks, they had it going on. Someone with special skills choreographed that flashy show, no doubt about it. Good for them. Keep it up, cymbal players. You stole the show. Amen.



They drew quite a crowd...
...forgive me, I had to put her in.



This is the drum major, Gunnery Sergeant Keith Martinez.
They did a Q&A segment and he handed out CD's.

But, what I liked most about photographing the Marines was this - the detail - the regalia. All that stuff that makes the military look so good. Here is a retrospective on that:










Right down to the sparkly toes - er, shoes.
I am sure Marines don't have sparkly toes.
Not even the cymbal players.

So, there you go. Some Marine detail from a fabulous performance. It was great! Definitely a highlight of the fair for me each year. That, of course, and the fried butter. And the manufactured home. But, that's for another day, isn't it.

We have very little planned this weekend. Amen to that! We need to dig out, catch up and move on. That's what we plan to do. Hope your weekend is everything you need it to be. See you here next week with something new.

3 comments:

  1. Great pictures of the Marines! I enjoyed your blog, it was almost like seeing it again...minus the music. They were good.

    love,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lady looks like she is scolding the band. He! He!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy! I love these pictures. Theyare wonderful. Makes me want to hear them. I will put this concert on our list for the fair next year. Yes, I start thinking about the next trip as soon as we've left each year! I love it!
    You could win some more ribbons with these!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!