Monday, October 26, 2009

Scenes from a Fair, Take Two

So, now that I've "mastered" the new Flickr procedure for posting photos (it does take a greasemonkey script to work) I am going to try again today to bring you some of my favorite photos and memories from this year's State Fair.

Of course, I am a big fan of some of the marine shots I've already shared. And of the inside of the Creative Arts building. These are some of the others. And they represent every single trip I took to the fair this year, I think!

Here we go:


IMG_2603 (by Ateupamateur)
The Fletcher's Corny Dog I ate.
Pre-eating.

OK, so maybe it wasn't a favorite. Well, of course the eating part - THAT was a favorite. But the photo didn't turn out as I planned. I thought it would be hugely artistic. There are three versions. None of them are grand. Sometimes it just doesn't work out. But, hey, look at it this way - by including this one, it can only go up from here!


IMG_2132 (by Ateupamateur)
The locomotive you can see without paying the fee.

I really wanted to go into the Age of Steam train museum, because I hear it is moving to Grapevine next year. And sister, I don't make it out to Grapevine very often. And, I thought it would be cool to take some locomotive photos. But, unlike the other museums during the fair, there is an additional admission of $4 to enter. Not that I batted an eye spending $4 on fried butter mind you, but given there is so much to see at the fair without paying one more stinkin' dime, I decided it was not worth it. So I will probably never take photos of the trains beyond that big beautiful one.

I should say something about the light - it was the harsh mid-day sun. And there was a glare. But, I thought in this shot I was able to use those conditions to somewhat of an advantage for an interesting photo.


IMG_2219 (by Ateupamateur)
S and Wayne, after the shoot em' up game.

This one is a favorite for one main reason. My beau is prominently placed in it, with, amazingly enough, a SMILE on his face. He and our friend Wayne, the art critic, took their chances at this game where you have to shoot every last morsel of a star off a sheet of paper to win. Both Wayne and S clearly aimed and shot in the center of the target. Yet, niether of them won a prize. Tricky, huh? Yeah, really tricky.

It also reminds me of all those hours at Bass Pro Shop. Yes, that's right - I bet you never saw me in one of those did ya. Well, you see, one activity S and Wayne endorse for time spent together is for us and he and Tricia to meet up at Bass Pro Shop so the boys can lose rolls of quarters (they will actually plan ahead and bring rolls of quarters with them, obtained via a special, planned trip to the bank) in their shoot em' up game. Tricia and I have seen our fair share of every square inch of the store while they are doing this. We usually just walk about and visit. The recliners are the ugliest things I've ever seen, (a Bass Pro Shop exclusive, no less) but quite comfortable. I am sure we will see the seats of those recliners once again sometime in the near future, so it is only fitting S and Wayne took in this particular game together at the fair.


IMG_2319 (by Ateupamateur)
A State Fair Coupon or two.

It was Tricia's idea to photograph these...while we were standing in line to purchase fried butter. I actually sort of liked the end result. They are certainly iconic at the fair. And we certainly consumed a whole bunch of them. That's a technical term for "many."


IMG_2150 (by Ateupamateur)
The Food and Fiber Building

Nothing too spectacular - I mean, you could get a free cheese quesadilla and see Elsie and Beauregard inside. But, what I like about the photo is it highlights one little bit of the fairgrounds' Art Deco buildings. They are really quite stunning, if falling apart at the edges. At the fair, we try to forget the falling apart part. Ahem.


IMG_2248 (by Ateupamateur)
Speaking of Art Deco...

IMG_2252 (by Ateupamateur)

IMG_2270 (by Ateupamateur)

IMG_2272 (by Ateupamateur)

One night when we were waiting to view the laser light show (which was new and pretty good this year) I took several photos of these beautiful ladies, thinking they might be contenders for next year's photo contest. I'm not sure about all of that, but they are pretty cool lit up at night nonetheless.


IMG_2175 (by Ateupamateur)
Speaking of iconic fair images...

The automobile buildings are a main feature at the State Fair. Such a big draw, in fact, that my mother says the past years when she had come to the fair with us we only took her there. I think that might be an exaggeration, but they are large and jam packed with cars. Then, the trucks are outside, so there are lots of people movers of this variety to check out. In the olden days, this was a bigger deal, because car makers would unveil their new models at the State Fair of Texas. Nowadays, this seldom occurs. Although, this year, Toyota did unveil the new 4Runner at the fair. So, the old fogeys like my S felt vindicated. [He's not really that old, he just acts like it. ;-)]


IMG_2177 (by Ateupamateur)
Say it isn't so!

Sort of like finding Santa and Mrs. Claus smokin' with the elves behind the mall in December, the head of this costumed character sat in the middle of the truck exhibit looking for a home - er, head. Suddenly, in a blink of an eye, my belief in the GMC blonde buckaroo was dashed. Especially since the person who suited up and put this head upon their own was an African American woman. Go figure.

In case you were confused, this isn't Disney World. The same rules do not apply. Ahem.


IMG_2191 (by Ateupamateur)
The Old Mill Inn

Yep, this is at the fair too. And it's open all year. Never been in. Pretty building, though, no?


IMG_5099 (by Ateupamateur)
The Women's Museum

Another example of stunning Art Deco architechture. Beautiful.


IMG_5113 (by Ateupamateur)

We watched the flag ceremony the night my dad and Torchy went to the fair with us. And, that night, this very junior ROTC group was in charge. Something about little kids in fatigues with the American flag seemed to make a good photo to me.


IMG_5135 (by Ateupamateur)
Will you take a LOOK at that SIGN???
God Bless Gaudy. Amen.


IMG_2679 (by Ateupamateur)
Yep, she qualified.

I'm not exactly sure she DID qualify, but when we walked up to the gate on Seniors Day, they gave her a free ticket for admission, no questions asked. She doesn't look a day over 40 does she? But, my mama wasn't going to argue with a free ticket to the fair.


IMG_2804 (by Ateupamateur)
Now, these ladies had moves.

IMG_2799 (by Ateupamateur)
A highlight of seniors day!

IMG_2770 (by Ateupamateur)
And, another "sexy lady" was found in the cattle barn...
...just read her tag!


IMG_5140 (by Ateupamateur)
Yes, the fair was that empty.

Most days we went this year, since Dallas saw a record setting set of rainy days in early October, the fair was pretty light. They were delighted to have perfect weather the last weekend of the fair to try to make up for lost time. I am not sure they did, but we didn't mind walking around without having to fight the crowd. We had jackets and an umbrella and we were good to go!


IMG_3050 (by Ateupamateur)
On one of the sunnier days, we enjoyed watching the miniature trains around Big Tex.

IMG_3056 (by Ateupamateur)

IMG_3057 (by Ateupamateur)
And their miniature passengers!

That's about enough for today I think. I've got a few more to share on another post. But, for today, last but not least, I had to of course go by to visit my good friends:


IMG_2733 (by Ateupamateur)

IMG_2736 (by Ateupamateur)
They were well, bobbing along as always.

Happy Monday! See you tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. Let me do the math...if your Mother doesn't look a day over 40, that makes me look 45; cool

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the ducks are still doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the trains could be a option for next year... I like them!

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!