Friday, October 23, 2009

Ducky Visitors

First, let me tell you about the photo situation - Flickr has installed a new feature that allows for people to "tag" people in their photos. This new feature has destroyed the ability to upload photos the way I am used to uploading them. So, today, I am trying a new way. I think what is going to happen - because I cannot see it first - is that the photos are going to be so large they will bleed off the page or they won't be there, or there will be an HTML error or something. If any of this happens, I will check it out and fix it in the future...bear with me as I try to work around Flickr's very not useful new feature. Here's hopin' there's a post below with photos!


IMG_2154 (by Ateupamateur)

So, when I showed you the location of the ducks at the fair, I asked you, if you were willing, and you were going to the fair, to please take a photo with the ducks.


amy and photo taken by mom (by Ateupamateur)
Me, taken by my mother-I had to post it because of the look on my face.
Priceless.

Here's the exciting part - SOME OF YOU DID TAKE PHOTOS!!! Woooo-hoooo! So, today's post is a telling of those who visited the ducks and sent me a photo to tell about it.


from jay (by Ateupamateur)

First, I should say, I received quite a few like this - a photo of the photo - no people.

DSC00550 (by Ateupamateur)

OK, thanks, good to know you saw it. I appreciate that very much! But, it was not exactly what I was hoping for. I'll give you an E for effort. Good job!

So here we go - of course, I have the photos of the family - those in town and those who came to visit:

IMG_3019 (by Ateupamateur)
S, in his smokin' shades.

I actually took a few photos of S without the shades, but in every single one, he looks very tired, ticked off or bored. He was probably all three. So, shades it is!


sam and cheryl (by Ateupamateur)
The In-Laws, Sam and Cheryl

kim and photo (by Ateupamateur)
My sister-in-law Kim

mark alexandra kim (by Ateupamateur)
S's brother Mark, his daughter Alexandra and his wife Kim

brooke michael and andrew (by Ateupamateur)
S's other brother Michael (R), sister-in-law Brooke(L) and Andrew(M)

dad and torchy (by Ateupamateur)
Dad and Torchy

IMG_5129 (by Ateupamateur)

IMG_2795 (by Ateupamateur)
My proud Mama

Then, there are the sweet friends who stopped by for a look see:

deborah and photo (by Ateupamateur)
My friend Deborah

Oct 09 019_edited (by Ateupamateur)
Our friends Katrina and Dan and their three boys.
I especially like the enthusiasm shown by the one in the hat!

Here's a small world story for you - Katrina is from Dallas. We all go to the same church, I guess you could say, but we haven't been in a while. We'll not define the "while" part. Anyhoo...Katrina met this guy named Dan and got engaged right around the time we met her. When I saw Dan at church, I thought he looked familiar, but I just thought he probably went to SMU or something.

Then, I heard someone say Dan was from Indiana. What a stinkin' minute, my brain said - wait a sec - no, it couldn't be, could it? I went home and searched high and low for the box that contained my high school year books. Yep - it was true - Dan and I went to the same high school in Indiana. The same one! He graduated a year before me, and we weren't really "friends" but we certainly were involved in a couple of the same clubs and knew some of the same people. So there you go - small world. Very small world.


Oct 09 020_edited (by Ateupamateur)
Our friends JoNell and Jody.
(And Katrina's parents!)

DSC00552 (by Ateupamateur)
My friend Tricia.

Of course, when we were at the fair for our team building day, I snapped a photo of my dear co-workers:

IMG_2606 (by Ateupamateur)
Karen, Mark and Melissa

Big news for Miss Melissa, up there on the right. On Wednesday, she went and got herself engaged! Congratulations to her and her beau, Zach. It was so cute - Zach came over to our offices to surprise her and give her the ring. She WAS surprised. In addition to the ring, he brought champagne (approved in advance by HR for this special occasion) and roses, and Karen brought cake. We all took a little sip of the champagne for a toast and all commented that it was a nice bottle. Zach then said, "Yeah, I didn't think today was the day to go for the $10 bottle of champagne." Good call, Zach, my man, good call.

OK - back to the photos - here are the photos that fit in their own category - first up, the people I don't know. My mother-in-law Cheryl works at a church. The youth pastor at said church was headed to the fair one day with some kids, and she mentioned her daughter-in-law won a blue ribbon at the fair and was trying to get people to take their picture next to it...so they took a photo:

photo (by Ateupamateur)

Yeah, I have never seen these kids before...I don't know their names. Cheryl doesn't know who they are either...but there they are, hamming it up with the photo. So God bless them.

Then, there is the "art critic" category - Tricia's husband and our friend Wayne, took a critical approach to checking out the photo - sort of like a fine piece of art:


DSC00553 (by Ateupamateur)

DSC00554 (by Ateupamateur)

DSC00555 (by Ateupamateur)

DSC00556 (by Ateupamateur)
Very nice, Wayne.

Then there is the "props" category. My friend Melanie - you remember, the one who had the Gone With the Wind party last fall - brought props to the fair for her photo. I'm starting to see a trend with her, I think...hmmm...


DSC05842 (by Ateupamateur)

DSC05843 (by Ateupamateur)
Very clever, Miss Melly!
I love it!

But, this one - this one might be the most creative of them all - my friend Jessica, from Pittsburgh, sent me the following message:

So...I made it out to the TX state fair over the lunch hour. As requested, I found your photo and took a picture next to it. Don't know why your photo turned out so small. I guess my head is just really big.

I know the background doesn't look much like it did when you were there over the weekend. The TX State Fair people told me that they were "moving some stuff around"- hence all the white space.

The deep fried butter was good.
_______________________________________
Jessica


And, attached to that message was this photo:

jessica and photograph (by Ateupamateur)
I love ya, Jess.

Whoo-wee did I laugh at that one! Had me laughing for days, actually. I love that she left the pushpin in the wall above the photo, too. Classic. Great work, my friend. You're a hoot.

So, there you go. Thank you dear friends and family for playing along with my little assignment. I had GREAT fun opening your photos. I really did - I would just ooh and ahh and laugh with great delight whenever they arrived. It was a real treat!

And thanks to my mom and dad and Torchy for coming down to see it in person. That was so very kind of you. We enjoyed having you here.

Best wishes for the weekend! See you Monday!

3 comments:

  1. "New flicker" photos look great. Hope it does not add tension to your blogging activities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what impresses me most about all the people who came to see your photo.....your co-workers. That says a lot about you. They spend more time with you than most of your family and they truely show that they like you when the involve themselves in something like this. The kids who came just because someone ask them to was cool as well. Congratulations! Your a talent in many, many, ways...and I say that completely unbiased!!!

    Love,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dad - they were probably just being nice, but they are definitely nice folks. I am lucky to work with such good people. And, you are in fact biased. You can't help it. It's OK.

    And, the Flickr photos - it adds a step to the process, but I'll get used to it and keep researching other alternatives.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!