Thursday, October 29, 2009

Sailing White Rock Lake

IMG_2960 (by Ateupamateur)

Before we get started with this post, I want to say my thoughts and prayers are with two families this week - first, the family of S's cousin Mary, who, after fighting valiantly, went to be with her Lord on Monday. Her services are Friday, and S and I plan to attend. What a wonderful sweet woman she was and she will be missed by many.

The second family is my cousin Soni and her family, as her husband Irv "went to be with Jesus" as Soni put it, after a courageous fight against pancreatic cancer. His services are Saturday and Monday in Indiana, so we will not be able to attend. But I will certainly be thinking of her as she will have several long and trying days ahead, no matter how strong or positive she is (and she is strong AND positive and an incredibly faithful woman) and for her family as they all mourn the death of a wonderful man who did so much for so many.

Both of these families can be reassured that their loved one is no longer in pain. But, I am also sure, no matter how comforting that fact is, that there will be many times when they miss them so much it hurts. I hope they find their way through those moments through their family and friends and faith. God bless all of them.

OK, so now, a little bit about some sailboats...to lighten the mood on a Thursday and offer a diversion:


IMG_2948 (by Ateupamateur)

When my mom and I went to the Dallas Arboretum for the Harvest Tea, when we were walking around the gardens afterward, there was a sailboat race on the water. So, of course, I took some photos.


IMG_2949 (by Ateupamateur)

I don't really understand sailboat races. We saw one when we were in Wisconsin. They get out there, sort of in a line, a siren sounds, the boats start moving, and then another siren sounds and they start moving in another direction. And then at some point it's over. It's a mystery to me, but I think they make for good photos!


IMG_2950 (by Ateupamateur)

I also saw a great sailboat, perfectly placed, in West Palm Beach, you might remember. They are just picturesque subjects!


IMG_2953 (by Ateupamateur)

IMG_2959 (by Ateupamateur)

So, while you're looking at the pretty sails, I'll tell you what I'm up to today...I am giving my first public performance on the guitar. Yeah, I know what you're thinking. You're thinking what I'm thinking. And that is - what on earth was I thinking???


IMG_2957 (by Ateupamateur)

IMG_2969 (by Ateupamateur)
Even the bikers were interested, I guess!

I've only been taking guitar for ten months. I can play scales. And a few chords. And an etude or two. But, sister, these skills are not for public consumption. They are for my living room. However, somehow, I'll be playing in public today. Go figure.


IMG_2971 (by Ateupamateur)

But the thing is the Halloween party at work is a big deal. People dress up. And, now, as of a few years ago, skits are part of the festivities. People who work in operations are not the most creative when it comes to skit writing. Or performing. So, in order to be "team players" and join in the fun, my co-worker Margaret and I are going to perform a piano-guitar duet. That is our "skit."

IMG_3011 (by Ateupamateur)

IMG_2972 (by Ateupamateur)

The really good part is - Margaret is an excellent pianist - actually, she's also an organist. I'll be able to ride her coattails somewhat. That goodness for that! Also good - this time tomorrow, it'll all be over and no one will remember one bit of it. Also very good.


IMG_2976 (by Ateupamateur)
This one is so Dallas - a UT shirt in the boat, and an iconic house in the background.

So, if public performances are not in your schedule today, count yourself lucky. Unless, of course, you make your livelihood from public performances. Then, of course, knock yourself out. I'll be counting myself lucky to be backstage again tomorrow.

See you then.

4 comments:

  1. nice pictures of sailboats and your guitar performance was good too. thanks for sharing.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. like this post

    Ken

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name (first name only is fine) with your comment!